General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

Compaq Presario SR1303WM.Help,a friend of mine needed help with her computer,it was slow on start up and when it did boot up it took for ever to get anything to run,so i cleand all the dust out ran adware 2008,got rid of all adware and ran trend,all clean,she wanted to be sure it was clean,so i reformated the hard drive and reinstalled win xp home, now when we push the power button the computer turns on but the monitor will not come on,orange light on front of computer stays on now,keyboard will not work/no lights on keyboard/computer is not giving any beeb codes,no sound at all,checked ram,and hard drive in aother computer works fine,cpu fan is on,everything seems to be working fine,but computer just want bootup to windows,just sets there?help,i have been working on computer for over 10 years and this is a first. thank you…… thank you for your replay,i hooked her monitor to my computer,it works fine.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

i would start with

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Help!

trying to connect the pc to another monitor, if it works there, it’s likely the monitor…let us know if it works or not

possibly

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Help!

drivers for the monitor…btw…you should respond here in the open forum as other members may have input also as to what the issue could be 🙂

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to possibly

Ok,Drivers For monitor Would Help But i can not get the monitor to come on long enough to do updates,if i use my computer,it would update drivers for my graphics chip set,not her’s, and the orange light on front stays on,no matter how long i leave the computer on,like i stated befor,her computer was working,but after formating hard drive and installing win XP home,computer want do anything,power comes on but thats it.hope this is were my reply goes.lol

I actually had this happen to me once….

by karydavis ·

In reply to Help!

…turns out it was the driver to the video card. My resolution was to remove the video card and use the onboard video.

Are you connecting the monitor to the onboard video or a video card?

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to I actually had this happen to me once….

connecting the monitor to the onboard video

Maybe a video card…

by karydavis ·

In reply to Help!

would help?

The onboard video could be blown. If you install a graphics card, maybe Windows will use a standard vga driver to load it. It might get you at least some kind of display to work with.

good luck!!

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to Maybe a video card…

Ok, i will install a standard graphic card and see if the monitor turns on,if that dont work why is the orange light on. would the on board chip being out cause the orange to stay on?

Possibly…..

by karydavis ·

In reply to Help!

…depends on the computer. We are talking about the amber light on the Monitor???

A blinking amber light on the CPU could mean a power suppy issue (at least on Dell), but you said the fans were working fine?

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to Possibly…..

The Amber light On the computer stays on,the cpu dosent have a light and it an 2005 compaq presario sr1303wm,and yes every thing else seems to be working,just cant see anything,the green light want come on on the monitor when computer,if i can get the monitor to come on i may be able to find the problem.

CPU light….

by karydavis ·

In reply to Help!

…means the computer power light usually located on the front of the box.

I don’t know what the compaq looks like, but I’m talking about the light near or on the power button…the actual power light.

Is that light normally amber? Most of the power lights are green, but some are amber. For some models the blinking means something as well.

I’m sorry if I confused this issue more…I’m just not that familar with Compaq computers.

After re-reading your initial post…

by karydavis ·

In reply to Help!

I think it could be the power supply, if you are refering to the CPU light.

I would try putting in a power supply you know works and testing it to see if it boots her machine.

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to After re-reading your initial post…

Trying power box,be right back.

Help!

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to Help!

Power box is working fine i am useing it right now,yes i know the green or amber light you speak of on the front of the tower,our computer has an power button light right under the the power button and an little light right under that to show when the hard drive is doing something,that should be amber when computer is booting or when anything is going on,then is green when nothing is happing,but her’s stays amber indicating something is wrong some where.like right at this time,my light is green,if i can i will find out the name of this light and it fuction.

call compaq ~nt~

by jck ·

In reply to Help!

Thanks For The Help.

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to call compaq ~nt~

Thanks For The Help, Think She Just Needs To Get a New Computer

Yep

by jck ·

In reply to Thanks For The Help.

That’s why I said call Compaq. they can tell you definitively and if not might have a trade-in value. Lots of computer makers do that for their not-so-old models.

Computer is fixed.

by runningbear682006 ·

In reply to Thanks For The Help.

I would like to thank every one for there help last year. but i found out what was wrong. it was only the Processor,i changed the processor and her computer booted up and is runing like a charm,so i hope this helps some one else.it had wend bad for some reason dont know why,but that was what it was. thanks again for all the help.

Viewing 3 reply threads