General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Help me choose certifications!

by cazten ·

Hey guys, so I’m on my way to completing some of my first IT certs and I’m trying to decide which direction would be best to pursue next.

By the end of December I will have both a CCNA and a comptia Security +

My main interest lies in security, however, being realistic theres only so far I see security certs taking me in a beginner career swap. So im looking for what would be he next best bet’s to help me land a job. Keep in mind im only just shy of an Associates degree and working toward the Bachelor.

My thought’s
    CCNA Security (as ccna is very fresh for me at the moment)
    A+ and Network + (just to fill the low end gap, though I wonder if Network plus is necessary with a CCNA)

What would you aim for? Some Microsoft certs, virtualization, ect?

Thanks!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Where do you want to go?

by jdsal ·

In reply to Help me choose certifications!

You have to find what in the information technology profession you like the most. The functional areas like network, server, storage, database, etc are all very different skillsets.

I personally acquired MS certs back in the late 90s and worked through sysadmin career paths. After that I changed gears and went into networking (Cisco).

Straight network admin jobs are few in comparison to server. There are generally far more server admins than network people. Unless of course you seek out network carrier opportunities.

the basics..

by tuningmycivic ·

In reply to Where do you want to go?

I would start with the very basic ones: CompTIA Network+, A+, and Security+. If you can get those out of the way before 1 January, you won’t have to re-certify every few years.

Those three will give you a basic groundwork and understanding of how IT tests work and what to look for. They will also give you a bit more insight on what path you enjoy more and should work toward.

After that, the choices are almost limitless and totally up to you. If you like desktop/server stuff, go with MS certs. If networking is your thing, CCNA is a good place to start.

Viewing 0 reply threads