General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Help!! Our Marketing dept is moving to MAC

by jessie ·

I do high-level PC troubleshooting, networking and server support here for my company, and I’ve just been informed that VP of our Marketing dept wants to move to MACs. I can’t say that I blame them. From everything I’ve ever heard about the MAC OS, it’s nice & stable & handles graphic intensive applications very well.

My only problem is, I’ve NEVER worked on a MAC… One would assume that the hardware works basically the same, except for it’s interface with the OS. I need to VERY QUICKLY learn the MAC OS — and how to integrate it with our Exchange/Active Directory/W2k workstations/W2k3 Servers.

So… any resources, good books, classes, whatever… that you can recommend, would be infinitely appreciated.

Thanks!!!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Not up on current but

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Help!! Our Marketing dept is moving to MAC

I used to work in a mixed Mac PC environment ten years ago.

I’d have to say your first priority is getting your hands on a Mac. You need hands on experience.

Second, spend some time on Apple’s website – they typically have a closer relationship with partners than Microsoft, so I am sure you can find links there. The Apple user community is pretty tight – you will find others out there that are willing to help a neophyte.

Mac Hardware is typically more plug and play than Windows – Apple hardware of course is very well integrated, and third parties have to use standards so that third party is almost as seamless as Apple hardware – typically in firmware.

I would suggest you look for a computer show with Apple content, visit Mac dealers, read Mac World, get a Mac on your desk and try using the standard apps on the Mac instead of the PC.

File format interchange is a constant battle. Even with MS Office on the Mac, when a new PC version of an application comes out, often the Mac release lags and you sometimes get conversion issues. There are third party tools that can do batch file conversions – your migrating users might want to take advantage of them.

James

appletalk

by jaqui ·

designed to seamlessly integrate with m$ systems.

ms office runs on mac
      IE runs on mac

the hardware is was ibm’s ppc, now it’s risc for the cpu, scsi drives.
      cableless interiors with g5’s.
      ( docking port connection of internal drives, not even a power cable )

they steal the other 2 mouse buttons and force you to work against the design purpose of a mouse and ADD keystrokes to get the functionality of a 3 button mouse.

osx is what apple did with a bsd distro, but it ain’t even close to being bsd, it’s nothing but winders in an uglier box..

Appletalk et al

by jamesrl ·

In reply to appletalk

The constant complaint of PC networking folks is that Appletalk it really chatty – lots of overhead. But yes its been able to integrate into an MS environment for some time.

MS Office owes a lot to the Mac. Back when Word on the PC was a command driven green screen application, Word for the Mac, and Excel were great Mac tools. IE was actually a Mac only browser that another company developed and MS bought.

The CPU has been the IBM Power PC, which is RISC for some time. One of the reasons the Mac still dominates in graphics is that the Power PC/Risc architecture is very strong in math, better than equivalent Pentiums, though so was the previous Motorola 68XXX chipset before.

The Mac used to be exclusively SCSI and used to have a propritary keyboard/mouse bus(Apple Desktop Bus) but now is IDE, USB, and PCI/AGP to save money.

OSX really started many years before Linux became popular, and really picked up steam when Steve Jobs came back from Next(which was Unix based too). It did take an extremely long time to come to market. It was an attempt to take the existing interface that Mac users have gotten used to since day 1(1984) and graft it on top of a BSD core. The one button mouse is because there was a one button mouse in 1984, when mice on a PC platform was unheard of(though Unix workstations of the era had 3 button mice). Mac users double click and click which does make some more choices available.

James

Get online but not here!

by dc_guy ·

There is a huge Macintosh community on the internet, lots of BBSs, lots of gurus sitting there waiting to help people like you. Apple users are all proselytes who want to help the rest of the human race see the light.

Do a little googling and you’ll find everything you want. I’d help you myself but I’ve only been using a Mac for about six months. Still you’d have to shoot me to get me to ever live with Grungeware again.

but cableless cases?!?!

by jaqui ·

In reply to Get online but not here!

how can you trust a computer in a god awful ugly case, that has no cables connecting drives to the mobo.

those bay socket things corrode due to the humidity in the air and electrical current passing through them.

I’ll stick with my linux/unix/bsd pc thanks.
        no m$ cra$hware here.

Corrosion

by jessie ·

In reply to but cableless cases?!?!

just because there’s no cables doesn’t mean corrosion is exclusive to MAC hardware. I don’t know how many computers I’ve “fixed” by reseating cables, where I KNOW that the only problem was oxidization on the pins, and the simple act of pulling off the cable and plugging it back in scraped enough of the crap off to make contact again.

oh, I know

by jaqui ·

In reply to Corrosion

I just have a low opinion on proprietary hardware.

and on the physical design of macs.

I know they are good machines, that last a long time with minimal upkeep.

but I wouldn’t buy one of those ugly things.

Mixed history

by jamesrl ·

In reply to oh, I know

Apple has had some stunningly good designs, and some real stinkers.

I remember getting my first Power PC, a 9500(equivalent to an early Pentium). Of course, I bought extra ram, and was dismayed that I had to take out the drive framework to install RAM.

On the other hand I remember one of their earlier pizzabox style designs at a rpess launch, and a non techie demoed putting it together from components(Motherboard, case, power supply, hard disk, monitor keyboard mouse) without any tools and booting it within one minute – brilliant.

I also remember the fact that the early all in one macs (Mac Plus, SE)had some rough metal edges and i often cut myself when disconnecting the power supply.

I don’t have a low opinion of proprietary hardware – it works.
          James

Still as happy and sunshinnie as always

by chief bottle washer ·

In reply to oh, I know

You must sulking.

Something wrong with this picture

by amcol ·

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that your company lacks any form of enterprise architecture plan, doesn’t have strong strategic IT management, and has a cowboy culture.

You’re asking the technical community how to get MAC knowledgable when you should be asking your own bosses why this is being allowed to happen at all. If the VP of Marketing unilaterally decided to move his/her department to the MAC platform, why does that person get to make or violate IT policy? If IT management sanctioned this move in advance, why are you being asked to scramble around after the fact instead of being solicited beforehand to see if you already had the requisite skill set?

Either way, you have my sympathy. This is not a good organizational situation.

Cowboy culture

by jessie ·

In reply to Something wrong with this picture

The words “nail” and “head” come to mind… The owner of the company ROUTINELY asks IT to show him how to work some new gadget he just bought… last week, I had to show him how to import a CD to his iPod. And this same mindset filters down from him to all of upper management, while the PEONs get quoted to from the HR handbook that they’re not allowed to install anything on a work computer not purchased by the company. This is not at all helped by one of my fellows in IT who will go setup or troubleshoot home computers of anyone in management on his own time, and not expect any special reimbursement for his efforts. Since there’s only 6 of us, this does tend to set the precedent.

In general though, I like the people I work with, and the people I work for. The pay is decent and it’s a small enough company that my job duties are diverse enough not to bore the hell outta me… so I stay… that and the fact that I’m 5 months pregnant and there’s not a chance in hell of me getting another job at this point.

Belated Congratulations.

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to Cowboy culture

Regular cuddles and sleep whenever you can (both of you) is my recommendation.
          Do you get maternity leave in the US ?

Yikes

by amcol ·

In reply to Cowboy culture

Could be worse. I’m not sure how, but it could be.

On the other hand, you do have a few things going for you. At least there appears to be some recognition (and documentation) that IT folks should only be working on company business, even if that policy is routinely unenforced. Your eager beaver co-worker is, of course, just engaging in rather transparent brown nosing, and your best bet is to let it happen. Contrary to popular wisdom, most people who do that find it backfires…he’s just being used, and when his usefulness expires he’ll be thrown aside. You say you like your colleagues and the work, which is 90% of the battle won right there.

Most importantly, you’re about to welcome a new addition…I’m happy for you. Work is just a place you go between your life. It’s not real life, that’s what happens when you go home.

More good news…in case you were unaware, your company is required by law to hold your position open until you return from maternity leave. They’re not required to give you back the same position, but they are required to “rehire” you. You’ll have more options than you can imagine at that point.

Best of luck.

Thank you both

by jessie ·

In reply to Yikes

for your congratulations on my impending arrival. 🙂

Unfortunately, as I found out shortly after being hired that I was pregnant, I will not have been employed by this company the requisite year to qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) or any type of pay or protected status while on medical leave after the birth.

I’m relatively certain that my manager will “work with me” to a certain extent as he seems pleased with my work, but I’ll still have to come back to work fairly quickly after the birth. Hopefully, I’ll be able to work some of that from home.

You’ll be OK

by amcol ·

In reply to Thank you both

My wife was trained as a commercial artist. When our kids came along she made the decision to stay home…she didn’t go to college to get her MRS, but she wanted to be the one to raise our children and not depend on any form of day care, a decision I fully supported.

She was able to find clients who were comfortable with her working from home so she could do two jobs at once. She did that for about eight years, until our youngest was in school.

She then purchased a small business with a partner, which she ran for about five years before selling it. After that she worked in a variety of sales and management jobs until retiring last year due to my job relocation.

That was a generation ago. Today, and in your business, it’s so much easier to telecommute. Not to mention, as a remote IT worker your potential client base is the entire world…you need not be limited by geography. If outsourcing and offshoring works for corporations, then why shouldn’t the same thing (home-sourcing?) work in reverse for you? Bring at least one job back from the far East. A lot of people do it.

There are a lot of disadvantages to working from home, don’t get me wrong. You have to be an exquisitely good time manager, much better than in an office. The kids will always demand something just when you need to be working. Your friends and neighbors won’t understand that you’re not available at a moment’s notice for a drop in coffee klatch. Put a padlock on the refrigerator…it’ll call your name, and before you know it you’ll have gained about a thousand pounds. It’s also mighty lonely since you no longer have the social interactions you get in an office environment. In short, it’s definitely not for everyone.

However, in your case you don’t have too much of a choice and you certainly are highly motivated. I believe you’ll do just fine.

Nothing wrong, this is quite common

by dc_guy ·

Walk into the advertising department of any large corporation and you will be walking into a Mac shop. Creative, artistic people refuse to waste even one brain cell learning how to be a software mechanic. They expect their computers to be as easy to take for granted as their microwave ovens.

A PC user has to be a tinkerer at heart to avoid having their computer drive them crazy. True artists are not tinkerers, they expect their tools to simply work.

In addition, Macs simply rule the graphics world. You might as well get used to them, their numbers are growing.

I did a consulting engagement for a Fortune 100 company that was THE leader in its industry. It had a PC-only policy everywhere but the advertising department. They found that they couldn’t hire the best people if they expected them to use Windows.

Out to Lunch

by rzimmerman ·

This reply is one reason IS is not highly thought of, in a lot of organizations. Thousands of companies peacefully coexist with Windows/OS X. Even the WSJ says the latest IMAC is the best desktop machine they have ever tested. MAC’s cost less to support, they are virus and malware free, and most importantly, they encourage the creative juices, you need in a Marketing Department. That far outweighs the hygiene needs of the IT shop, which doesn’t want to stretch their thinking too much.

There is definitely something wrong….

by guapo ·

…with this picture.

Why on earth would an IT professional be scared
      (more like panic mode) over having to support
      Macs? I mean, let’s face it folks, if sales
      people can use them, they should be a breeze for
      an IT professional. Besides which, about 95% of
      your Windows support problems will disappear.

Oh wait… Now I get it. If
      the whole company goes to Macs, five of those IT
      positions will become superfluous.

Reality of this situation

by skooboy ·

In reply to There is definitely something wrong….

Lots of good advice in this discussion. I’ll add this: I support (I know, it’s ridiculous)a large 50/50 PC-Mac network. Switching to Macs will eliminate your PC problems…and introduce you to Mac problems. You’ve got a lot to learn, sir, and I would start with the text “Mac OSX Helpline” (a big yellow book). It’s a great text that get you rockin’ with Macs. As regards protocols, networking, shares, etc.,OSX is very similar to XP; you’ll get the hang of it. Good luck.

Your focus is uncanny

by chief bottle washer ·

In reply to There is definitely something wrong….

You just stated the fear of all Wintel based IT professionals.
        Single mindedness is like blinders on a horse – they need to
        be guided in order for them to function properly.

MACs are just another type of computer

by mikeh6 ·

Jessie, I’m an old Windows tech/analyst from way back, but recently bought a new iBook for doing my remote work.

My wife just bought a beautiful iMac, and we’re both getting back into the MAC world.

I’d suggest trying to find a local Mac User’s Group in your area. Failing that find a local dealer and get to know some of the guys/gals (particlularly the vendor whose supplying your company). Most Apple dealers will have some informal ‘get to know your Mac’ or ‘get to know OS X’ sessions.

O’Reilly have some excellent books on OS X. And last but not least there are Mac forums on Tech Republic and MacTopia on Microsoft’s sites.

Good luck with the new venue, but remember it’s just another type of computer that behaves a bit differently.

Mike Hedley

PS: forget about the Mac vs. Windows stuff and just bite the bullet and learn something new.

Well stated

by chief bottle washer ·

In reply to MACs are just another type of computer

I agree with Mike’s comment on learning something new.
        As the creative director for a small Fortune 100 company
        a computer is just another tool for me to create with. Mac,
        Wintel machine it doesn’t matter. The difference is in the
        OS. Keyboard short cuts are different. Command keys are
        different – so what. The machines job is to crunch the
        math and spit out the results.

Information on learning the Mac OS can be found all over
        the net. My main advise to you is not to be afraid to ask
        questions.

Do you find that your lack of observation skills

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Well stated

is a problem?

You see – or maybe not – that the thread is two years old and it’s likely that the thread-initiator has either solved the Mac problem or moved on.

Actually, as she used to be a regular, I know that she’s found time to have a baby since she started that thread and – to our loss – hasn’t posted much this year at all so she won’t have read the answers anyway.

Ah, well

😀

You out there, Jessie?

Buy a used one and learn about it on the job

by gnx ·

My design dept wants to get a couple of G5 Macs. I am in the process of buying some used equipment to play around with and hook into my network. The windows pc just doesn’t quite work for a graphics based design program. I never worked on a mac until I got one to test out for a couple of days. Its kind of like coming from the age of the 455 to the C6 Corvette. When change came in he Marine Corps it was Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. Macs are not that bad to work on.

This is an opportunity!

by dncbrady ·

Don’t sweat it! Macs are a piece of cake.
      The only problem with Macs is the long-time
      users can get pretty stuffy. Anyway, look on this
      as an opportunity – tell the department that
      along with their hardware – you want a 17″
      PowerBook so that you can become familiar
      with the OS & applications (You’ll LOVE
      GarageBand). They may try to talk you down,
      but don’t go anything less than a 14″ iBook
      with a ComboDrive. DVD&CDR – may be less
      than $1000 by now.

Go for it!

by craig herberg ·

You need to get one to learn how to support it. Tell your boss you need a G5 and SyncMaster 243T – 24″ LCD Display. With a setup like that, you will be motivated to learn quickly.

Craig Herberg

DONT PANIC !!!

by klikklikcomputers ·

Hey, no need to worrk, but I know how you feel. Right now you are in a high pnic cant think straight through certain conversations, but as I said previously no need to worrry.
      I was in your same situation…. what I did was and always do is never ever turn down a job or task it done by other people so its just a matter of learning to do it. Well we get to the solution now. First and I say first, get your hands on an old but not too old mac (check ebay) I dont really suggest doing on the job training for this remember your employer’s eyes are on you. Do it at home, try as best and as cheap as possible to set the same type of environment at home. This is what I did with a big company here where I live, they had macs and pcs their company does advertising, commercials and movies, tv station and several radio stations. So man I wasnt about to let those dollars go rolling off to someone else. Their network with the macs had gigabit nic cards but was using a 10/100 mbps switch, server 2003 25 macs 14 pcs with 10/100 nics. At first touch down I examined the tcp/ip settings of the macs because the employees complained that it took over 5 hours to transfer a 1GB file to either a mac from a mac from a mac to a pc and so on within a day i had that cut down to 8 minutes to transfer the same file I got all their work.
      To sum up macs are basic no biggy. I still dont know their insides like a pc but I manage to keep them online and functioning. Think of it this way “Dont think of the mac as a MAC, think of it as you only know touse windows XP but you are now faced with configuring windows 95. Different user interface, same functions. Learn the mac use your same pc skills and knowledge to troubleshoot the mac these days same ram same ide hdd cdrom and so. Just to further suggest, one of the head designers in the same company was a die hard mac user they were looking into getting a new system for editing the boss approached me and asked what i recommended, hey i recommended a pc with built specs for the task. He approved my recommendation, i built the system and now that is the only system the same head designer uses. I did some exercises with the guy to prove to him that pcs rule (now) with the given and availability of various technologies. He put something a graphic file to render on the mac and then the same file to render on the pc i built given that the mac is older than the pc I told him to start the render on the pc 10 minutes after the one on the mac. Well to no avail bill gates and intel came out on top finishing not only before by 23.5 minutes (we used a stop watch) but at the same time he was downloading stuff from winmx and burning a dvd file 4.1GB on the pc. Goes to show that now a days that the myth of a mac being superior to pcs for design purposes are gone and when people realise that well so long mac baby. Imagine the same company needed a nic for a mac and it cost then 300 of my dollars when a nic for a pc (here in the caribbean) can start at around 50 of my dollars. So pal if you think that your company is going tha macintosh way have a meeting with the high uppers and see why they think that way and see if you can convince them to go the pc way. You may not be able to get a ps solution with dell , gateway or one of those guys but you sure can get the solution of one that you build. I used an ASUS motherboard with Intel Chipset P4 CPU with HT Rambus Serial HDD 256DDR AGP Card. So good luck on your trials if they do decide to go the mac way but dont be afraid you will get through it . Here are some links that may help you with your journey http://www.mactech.com/ and http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/ GOOD LUCK !!!

Beg to Differ

by rzimmerman ·

In reply to DONT PANIC !!!

If you put a PowerPC next to a Dell/Gateway (whatever), the PowerPC will blow away the Intel Chip set, and I have yet to see a Windows Monitor that comes close to Apple. The MAC OS is two years ahead of Windows XP. I have a Gateway machine at work and an IMAC at home, and the Gateway is like Ma Kettle to Michelle Pheiffer.

Beg to Differ

by rzimmerman ·

In reply to DONT PANIC !!!

If you put a PowerPC next to a Dell/Gateway (whatever), the PowerPC will blow away the Intel Chip set, and I have yet to see a Windows Monitor that comes close to Apple. The MAC OS is two years ahead of Windows XP. I have a Gateway machine at work and an IMAC at home, and the Gateway is like Ma Kettle to Michelle Pheiffer.

Go For It

by rzimmerman ·

I use an IMAC at home and Windows XP at work and the OS X is far superior. I haven’t read the other posts, but if you purchase “The missing manual for OS X” by Pougue, you will be well served. This is a great reference to OS X – Panther, and all of the free software that comes with it. The Apple browser (Safari) is excellent and seems to be able to function with just about any URL. I don’t have IWork, but I’m sure you’re Marketing Department will want that for snazzy presentations that will blow Powerpoint away. MS Office works great in the MAC environment and your site license will support both venues. Actually I like the MAC version of MS Office better. As for Graphics Apple is unparalled and the screen presentation is the best in the business. I have the 20″ monitor and love it. Rumor has it that the next OS upgrade (Tiger) will be available next month. I don’t know anything about the integration issues posed by having a mixed shop, but you won’t have the spyware and virus problems you have in the Windows world (at least not yet).

Make your company pay for the training

by gpfear ·

Since this was a management decision they are obligated to train you to support the new software. Whatever Apple certifications there are should be available to you. Why they didn’t do due diligence before making this decision shows their short sightedness. You plan before you implement!

Viewing 11 reply threads