Question

• Creator
    Topic

Help SOLVED recommended mode 1280×1024 :D

by rob miners ·

This is what has happened to my 17″ Samsung 713n not optimum mode recommended mode 1280×1024

Here is a good insight into what is happening. Thanks to paras7664 for the detail.

This monitor is no longer under warranty and I am sure that it can be repaired I just need to know how to do it. It is my first LCD and has performed really well until now. 😉

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by rob miners ·

In reply to Help SOLVED recommended mode 1280×1024 :D

Clarifications

I think

by .martin. ·

(and this is just my wild guess), because I have sort of had the same error.

but how I read this (and don’t blame me but I sometime read oddly…) not optimum mode, recommended mode 1280×1024, i.e., not in correct display settings.

this is done on the screen, in the menu (some monitors have an auto option, while others don’t) so you pretty much have to change it to 1280×1024.

if not… I am clueless

Thanks

by rob miners ·

In reply to I think

I have tried that.

Jacky this happens because the Display settings of the Video Card are not

by oh smeg ·

Up to the Minimum Input of the Monitor. If you have a CRT or any other monitor connect it up to the computer and when Windows Opens reset the Video Resolution to what Samsung Recommends.

Try to install the Samsung Drivers as well here and check the Monitor on a different computer. I’ve seen a similar thing happen with a Bad Power Supply where the No Connection Message would appear when power was applied to the system but when it was turned off the Monitor behaved itself perfectly. That again was on a Samsung Monitor but it was a 17″ CRT Monitor as I can not use LCD or TFT Monitors they give me headaches.

This should allow a Display to be shown when Windows Starts even if there is nothing displayed on the screen till then.

I don’t know what’s happening this week but that’s about the fiftieth Samsung Device that has carked it. My own Color Laser Printer spat the dummy and is insisting that the Waste Toner Cartridge is Full or Not Fitted. Well when this started the Waste Toner Cartridge was getting full but since I’ve replaced it with a new one it’s still doing the same thing. The customers have also had a rash of Samsung Products dieing all of a sudden this week for some reason as well. Not sure what’s going on at the moment but there seem to be a lot of them choosing to head to Silicon Heaven for some reason.

Col

Well it is a throw away society

by rob miners ·

In reply to Jacky this happens because the Display settings of the Video Card are not

and nothing that is built these days are designed to last. Tried all of the suggestions to no avail. I have ruled out everything except the monitor that doesn’t seem to be excepting the input properly. 3 different PC’s with 3 different video cards. There seems to be a connection to the power as well because when it is removed for 5 mins the monitor will come back to life.

Jacky have a look at the Power Supply Board in the Monitor

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Well it is a throw away society

And check for any Faulty Components. Most likely it will be a Heat issue so grab a can of Freezer Spray and spray the components one at a time when it’s not working and see if it springs back to life. You may find a simple bit to replace that way but if it’s something like a Surface Mount Transistor, Diode or Resistor I would be looking at keeping the unit for spare parts. I just don’t like to throw things away that may be useful latter. 😀

Col

Yes, probably it’ s overheating.

by mrcyber ·

In reply to Jacky have a look at the Power Supply Board in the Monitor

The same happened to my SyncMaster 713BM. I teared the thing apart and found that there is a chip (SE7888-LF) that is quite hot. Cooling it with compressed air helped. And as opposite: when I heated it with air-drier – the fault again appeared. So it migt be that it cannot handle even the recommended resolution when getting hot. It is very hard to replace, so the solution may be a tiny fan installed against this chip. There is some space for that, but I haven’t tried it yet.

The problem

by rob miners ·

In reply to Yes, probably it’ s overheating.

was a bad MCU IC. That component is on a board that needs to be replaced. It ended up cheaper to replace the monitor.

Off topic – re your printer problem

by ozi eagle ·

In reply to Jacky this happens because the Display settings of the Video Card are not

Hi Col,

I don’t know if this applies to your printer, but I have found that some are sensitive to sunlight shining on them. The case is so thin / translucent that direct sunlight activates internal sensors and cause all sorts of problems.

Try surrounding the printer with cardboard to check.

Herb

17″ Samsung 713n Error..

by Anonymous ·

Enter the monitor’s OSD, or menu, and locate the Restore to Factory Defaults option. That will reset the monitor to what it was originally.

On the User control buttons try this, where the numbers are related to the buttons.:

1. Use this button to open the on-screen menu and exit from the menu screen or close screen
      adjustment menu.
      2. This buttons allows you to adjust items in the menu.
      3. This buttons allows you to adjust items in the menu.
      4. Press this button activates a highlighted menu item.
      5. Press to self-adjust to the incoming PC signal. The values of fine,coarse and position are
      adjusted automatically.

This is what i have found in the manual….

by Anonymous ·

Can you see “Not
      Optimum
      Mode”,”Recommanded
      Mode : 1280 x 1024
      60Hz” on the screen?

You can see this message when the signal from the video card exceeds the maximum resolution and frequency that the monitor can handle properly.
      Adjust the maximum resolution and frequency that the monitor can handle properly.
      If the display exceeds SXGA or 75Hz, a “Not Optimum Mode”,”Recommanded Mode :
      1280 x 1024 60Hz” message is displayed. If the display exceeds 85Hz, the display will work properly but the “Not Optimum Mode”,”Recommanded Mode :
      1280 x 1024 60Hz” message
      appears for one minute and then
      disappears.

Please change to the recommended mode during this one-minute period. (The message is displayed again if the system is rebooted.)

Check the following items if there is trouble with the monitor.
      1. Check if the power cord and the video cables are properly connected to the computer.
      2. Check if the computer beeps more than 3 times when booting.
      (If it does, request an after-service for the main board of the computer.)
      3. If you installed a new video card or if you assembled the PC, check if the installed the adapter
      (video) driver and the monitor driver.
      4. Check if the scanning ratio of the video screen is set at 75Hz.
      (Do not exceed 60Hz when using the maximum resolution.)
      5. If you have problems in installing the adapter (video) driver, boot the computer in Safe Mode,
      remove the Display Adapter at the “Control Panel→System→Device Administrator” and then
      reboot the computer to reinstall the adapter (video) driver.
      ……………………..
      edited for added info.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
      If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Self test for your monitor..

by Anonymous ·

Self-Test Feature Check
      1. Turn off both your computer and the monitor.
      2. Unplug the video cable from the back of the computer.
      3. Turn on the monitor.
      If the monitor is functioning properly, you will see the “check signal cable” setting box.

Warning Messages
      If there is something wrong with the input signal, a message appears on the screen or the
      screen goes blank although the power indicator LED is still on. The message may indicate that the monitor is out of scan range or that you need to check the signal cable, of which you get this message:
      ” not optimum mode recommended mode 1280×1024″ “?”.

Judging the monitor’s working condition:

If there is no image on the screen or a “Not Optimum Mode”,”Recommended Mode : 1280 x
      1024 60Hz” message comes up, disconnect the cable from the computer while the monitor is still powered on.
      􀁻If there is a message coming up on the screen or if the screen goes white, this means the monitor is in working condition.
      􀁻In this case, check the computer for trouble.

Monitor or Computer?

by thechas ·

My first question after watching the video is have you tried connecting a different monitor to the system?

Or, have you connected the monitor to a different system?

I did not hear any POST beeps from the computer. So, I suspect that the computer itself is not getting all the way through POST.

The message on the monitor is “normal” for the startup and BIOS screens as they only display in low resolution.

Chas

Yep

by rob miners ·

In reply to Monitor or Computer?

I have tried with different monitors and they are working fine. All PC’s are posting properly. Monitors have never been my forte and I can reset the basics on a CRT but I have never had an LCD apart. With an error message like this I wouldn’t know where to start anyway. I suppose if I can’t find a fix for it I will get to have a look at the inners, just to have a look.

A bit more info

by rob miners ·

I was using the monitor as a second display. The PC display has been set at 1024×768 at 60Hz forever. It has always been set like this as all of my PC’s with 17″ monitors are set at this resolution. I wasn’t trying to adjust the display settings it just decided to happen.

The only way to remove the error message on the PC’s is to remove the power to the monitor for 5 mins and then reconnect. Within 20 mins the error message is back. The Video card that I am using is a NVidia GeForce FX 5200. The first PC that I used to test with has a NVidia GeForce MX 4000 and the display was set at 1024×768 at 60Hz. The second PC to test with has a NVidia GeForce 7300 GT and the display was set at 1024×768 at 60Hz.

The monitor has a built in autotuner that appears to work as when I connect to the first PC it will show the display with the error message and you can press the autotuner and it will scan and then you can use the monitor for 20 mins before the message appears again. This feature doesn’t work all of the time. The manual settings on the monitor don’t seem to allow you to change the default 1024×768 setting and if I use the PC’s to set it to 1280×1024 I get the error message.

I removed the video card from the primary PC and gave everything a spring clean as I originally thought that it was a problem with the video card. If I disconnect the monitor cable from the PC’s then the “check signal cable” setting box will appear. I am sure that this is definately something to do with the monitor. I seen a post where this problem has been fixed under warranty and the poster recieved the same monitor back.

After checking the responses this morning I reconnected the monitor to the NVidia GeForce 7300 GT that has Vista installed and tried to manually change the resolution to 1280×1024 at 60Hz. It will not except the settings. The screen goes black and then returns to 1024×768 and at the moment there is no error message. When I tried that before it errored out. It doesn’t seem to matter whether the OS is Vista or XP.

At the moment it will not except any resolution above 1024×768 but I can lower the resolution. It has been working for an hour this time around with no error message. That is all that I need an intermittent problem. Installing the Monitor drivers hasn’t helped.

If it’s any consolation, i use a HP wide 20 incher.

by Anonymous ·

In reply to A bit more info

And you can set it to well above your settings through the monitors own OSD. Also have a few LG monitors for years without any problems.
        Just thought that you might/need or want to change in the near future.

I can’t afford

by rob miners ·

In reply to If it’s any consolation, i use a HP wide 20 incher.

a new monitor at the moment and I have gone back to using a 17″ CRT as the second display. My main monitor is 22″ and all of the 17″ CRT’s that I have will display 1280×1024 just not the Samsung. It appears to be stuck on the 1024×768 as when I change the resolution down to 800×600 and restart the PC the settings are still 800×600 but if I open the menu on the monitor it is still set at 1024×768. Leaving the settings on the PC at 800×600 and then using the autotuner it will set as 800×600 on the monitor. When I try and bring it back to 1024×768 it gives the error message. It appears that the autotuner is working intermittently.

Just be thankful it’s not your Test Monitor

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I can’t afford

I got caught once with an Intermittent Monitor going black and because the computer came in what they problem I wasted hours trying to fix the computer when the Monitor was faulty. 🙁

Particularly galling that one was.

Go down to your Local Electronics Store not Dick Smith or Tandy and buy a can of Freezer Spray. Open the monitor up and in the failed condition hit the Power Board one component at a time with the freezer spray till you have hit everything and then move onto the Tuner Board if it doesn’t start working again. You may get lucky and it’s just a bit of crud inside the unit that is causing the problem.

Col

ROFLMA :D

by rob miners ·

In reply to Just be thankful it’s not your Test Monitor

I suppose that I am lucky in that regard as I have recently moved a couple of monitors around because a CRT went to silicone heaven. My test monitors are still CRT. I will try that suggestion but isn’t freezer spray the same as compressed air. I use an old eager beaver for cleaning PC’s as there is no moisture involved.

3 Year Warranty in US

by willcomp ·

Take a look at manufacture date on rear of monitor. In the US, Samsung LCD displays have a 3 year warranty.

I have a 710n that just turned 4 years old and the 713n is a newer model (I think).

3 years here to

by rob miners ·

In reply to 3 Year Warranty in US

the manufacture date on the monitor is june 2005 so it is just out of warranty. If the supplier that I purchased it through was still in business I think that I would have been OK but unfortunately these things happen. 😀

Have you tried to boot in safe mode?

by edunayo ·

I’m sure you did. As you know, when in safe mode, windows uses the good-old 640×480 and it is possible that your monitor can handle it. It it can, then you can adjust an “easier” (for the monitor) resolution/frequency.

I hope this helps.

🙂

Yep

by rob miners ·

In reply to Have you tried to boot in safe mode?

I tried that. I can get it to display everything up to 1024×768 and nothing above. Unfortunatly as soon as the screen saver or monitor shuts off I get the error. Even disabling the screen saver and monitor shut down doesn’t help as around 20 mins later the error message appears. I even tried it using 800×600 on a 4th PC. When the error message is displayed I can’t even access the menu on the monitor. The only button that will work is the power switch. I have tried leaving it just turned off with the power button and cable connected but until I physically remove the power cord I still have the error message.

Solved with help from Jestine Yong

by rob miners ·

Hi Rob,
      The problem you are having in fact a common problem and the cause was a bad MCU IC in the main board and you need to get the main board from samsung distributor.

Best regards,
      Jestine

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/

Thanks to all

by rob miners ·

who contributed now I have to try and work out how to get it apart without breaking it. 😀

Check Here

by willcomp ·

In reply to Thanks to all

Look through these. You may get lucky and find a service manual with disassembly instructions.

Alright Mate :D

by rob miners ·

In reply to Check Here

enough with the disappearing text. 😉

Bloody Spooky text, what next invisible posts. :p

I bought the

by rob miners ·

In reply to Alright Mate :D

electronic book and now I have it disassembled. Lucky that its mine and not a clients. 😉

Try Again

by willcomp ·

In reply to Thanks to all

I have no idea what happened to my last comment. Anyway, here’s the link:
        http://fileshare.eshop.bg/equipment_mfg/SAMSUNG_3.html

This Question

by rob miners ·

has been closed by the Author.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Viewing 12 reply threads