General discussion

Hotmail vs. Gmail + Outlook 2003 Combo?

By pete.g ·
My family is currently using a hodgepodge of hotmail accounts overflowing with spam. I?d like to persuade them to switch to Gmail accounts with POP integration with Outlook 2003. In addition to the security benefits of Outlook (easier backups, virus scanning, etc.) and a reduced amount of spam influx, this setup would make it easier for me to manage and administer support if the need arises. However, it will be difficult to send change-of-address emails.
Any more reasons why I should/shouldn?t decide to switch? Any better alternatives altogether?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Hotmail Issue

by TheChas In reply to Hotmail vs. Gmail + Outlo ...

I assume that your family is using free Hotmail accounts.

If so, Microsoft has announced plans to END free mail client access to ALL free Hotmail accounts.

Since they will still be able to access their Hotmail accounts on-line, they do not need to give up their Hotmail accounts.

Switch over to G-Mail for the accounts they access with Outlook.

There are instructions on the G-Mail help pages for porting over their address books.

Then, start using G-Mail for all NEW correspondence.

Even if it takes 6 months to migrate all of their contacts to using the G-Mail addresses, it takes care of the problems.

Chas

Collapse -

outlook?

by ana_ferreira In reply to Hotmail vs. Gmail + Outlo ...

I use thunderbird and I'm very impressed. The program works correctly, it's easy, simple and funcional.

Collapse -

Thunderbird

by Philip Golan In reply to outlook?

I too, have thunderbird installed on one of my machines, and am quite impressed with it. I have installed it mainly to download my Gmail. I have also used outlook for thie same, but find thunderbird easier for this task.

Collapse -

Drop Outlook

by jmgarvin In reply to Hotmail vs. Gmail + Outlo ...

Go with the Mozilla suite or with Thunderbird. There are tons of email clients out there that do it WAY better than Outlook.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)