Question

How can I reset the password on an Excel 2007 file?

By mislew06 ·
The password on an Excel file was changed and we cannot access the file. Does anyone know of a FREE software that can retrieve or change the password?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

TR members do not assist with password recovery.

by cmiller5400 In reply to How can I reset the passw ...

The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

Collapse -

Let's this assistance to, hmm, er.., say, Google?

by sl0whand In reply to TR members do not assist ...

I've google'd "reset password excel file" and obtained 12.600.000 (yes, 8 figures..) answers. Some will give an efective solution, some will do nothing and some may be dangerous. Don't you think that an answer here, limited to scope of the question, is better than to expose this guy to the risks of malware? Or, worse, that with a wize assistance, he could be turned into an addicted to piracy? We do not talk about guns, drugs or sex with our kids, and they go to net to learn. Look at the results...

Collapse -

I got 18,200,000 results - and what's more, my display ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Let's this assistance to, ...

Had commas between the numerical differentials [millions, thousands, hundreds] - odd that yours included full stops.

In answer to your question:
"Don't you think that an answer here, limited to scope of the question, is better than to expose this guy to the risks of malware?"

NO! And your answer down below is of similarly little use, since the bloke would have to spend $45 to achieve what he's after - unfortunately he wants to do it for FREE.

Collapse -

I'm intrinsically curious ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to How can I reset the passw ...

How do you know the password was changed?

I mean, simply because you cannot access the file that lies beyond the password doesn't mean that the password has necessarily been changed. It only means that you cannot enter the acceptable password, doesn't it??!!

Realistically speaking, the only way that you could possibly be certain that the password had been changed, would be if the person that had changed it - TOLD YOU.

So, since you evidently (by your own post) know that the password was changed, you must also know the person who told you that the password had been changed.

Ask that person what the password was changed to. :)

Collapse -

Password changed....?

by mislew06 In reply to I'm intrinsically curious ...

The password was changed by someone on my team. The keyboard on the machine was flaky when the person changed the password, so the password was entered incorrectly. It is a file we all use and I was just asking is there a way to reset the password, I was NOT asking to hack the file. I thought there was a way to simply reset the password!

Collapse -

Just a little effort

by ausvirgo In reply to Password changed....?

If you know what the password was supposed to be changed to, a manual brute force attack should be feasible. There are two likely scenarios, and you probably know which applies.
1) Keys not registering - this means the password will be the intended password minus one or more characters. Create a list of possibilities, starting with 1 character missing and working up.
2) Keybounce - means intended plus character duplications. More permutations as you could have triplication etc, however duplications are more likely. Create a list of possibilities, starting with 1 character duplicated and working up.
It is fairly easy to automate creation of these lists - you could even do it within Excel. As this is the easy part of the job and not much use if you don't know the intended password, there might even be a TR member who will help if you need it.
Unfortunately a way to simply reset the password would make the password pretty pointless unless it was protected by a master password held by someone in a position to know the legitimacy of the request. As Excel is not specifically a security program Microsoft doesn't seem to have included a master password feature, which would be useless anyway unless it had been activated prior to the problem.
GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -

No Tool Required

by jwcarlisle In reply to How can I reset the passw ...

Have Noticed that if you save the file as a Office 2003 format, close Word or Excel, then open the File again, and Save in 2007 format the Password is gone... we have had to do that with several files at work, they store the password in a different format between the two versions, and it does not make the jump there and back!

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums