Question

• Creator
    Topic

How do I completely uninstall Snap Toolbar?

by delenndax7 ·

A friend, who doesn’t know anything about computers yet, has gotten infected with the Snap Toolbar. The only thing I can find so far about how to get it off is a “Remove Snap Toolbar” exe file published by http://www.securitystronghold.com – BUT I worry about telling her to download this as Web Of Trust has graded this site as RED. Has anybody else used this tool & is it safe, despite the site reputation? Thanks, Dax

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by delenndax7 ·

In reply to How do I completely uninstall Snap Toolbar?

Clarifications

See the answer I sent to a user with this malware today.

by dave7072 ·

I found two tools/programs that will get rid of this bit of malware.

One is a program that will just deal with the Snap.do toolbar/virus and it’s registry entries and the other is an anti spyware/malware program which by coincidence I use.

http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/snap-toolbar.html
      This will offer you a 2.12mb file to download and execute to do the job.
      Have no other programs running when you do this and reboot afterwards.

http://www.paretologic.com/resources/definitions.aspx?remove=Snap%20Toolbar
      I’m guessing this will have you download the entire program so it can then be used to scan for and eradicate the malware for free.
      I’m guessing it may find others too but I’m not certain because this is commercial software you usually have to purchase.

Kind regards,
      DAve – Melbpc iHelp Team

snap.do Removal

by jessymess ·

Use an automatic Snap.do removal tool to get rid of Snap.do immediately. http://www.virusprotectiontool.org/unisntall-snap-do-easy-procedure-to-remove-snap-do

Reponse To Answer

by barryion ·

In reply to snap.do Removal

Doesn’t work on Windows 8

How to remove snap.do

by phodara ·

First of all I would be very suspicious of any 3rd party tools for removing spyware other than major tools like ccleaner, malwarebytes, kaspersky, symantec etc. Many spyware apps actually masquerade as spyware removal tools.

Best thing to do is remove it manually. Here are some very general basic steps
      1. Go under control panel panel-> programs and features remove the snaptool app.

The next steps you have to do, for every browser you have installed on your workstation:
      2. In each browser go into browser settings and remove any plugins, or extensions that do not belong

3. Check your browser startup and remove any thing that looks suspicious

4. Check the settings for your browser’s home page and remove every url that looks suspicious.

Once you complete the above for all your installed browsers ie, mozilla, chrome etc. You may attempt the following only if you have an understanding of the windows registry and are aware of the consequences of doing something wrong.

5. Search for snap and look for references to a snap.do url remove all the url references.

Reponse To Answer

by jdubya62 ·

In reply to How to remove snap.do

This worked for me…I was going to approach it this way in the first place. Too many tools out there that don’t do much of anything…but look pretty.

Simplest way

by lsd112 ·

Sorry, similar solution was already given

Removing Snap.do

by emailybar ·

Sharks really came out to play with all their links. If you want to remove Snap.do Google says to check this page out: http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-snap-do-and-search-snap-do-malware-from-your-computer-and-internet-browser/

All the options are there, for future reference. DO NOT click other links supplied as answers on this page, this link is the only link you need to visit to remove Snap.do and they won’t tell you to download crap you don’t need like others.

Snap.do removal

by benzart ·

Much harder to remove that articles said. Had to boot up with a boot cd with a mini xp environment and search all drives for snap.do and Smartbar. There were several different instances of four different installers, browser helpers, URL references, and other files in three different user accounts. I deleted them all while booted up with the boot cd. Until I did this it kept recreating itself. None of the online guides to remove it worked and no Trusted Malware tool or Anti-virus caught it. And I wasn’t about to even try one of those tools I never heard of before.

SpyHunter

by kafka001 ·

I tried every solution I could find in many forums and nothing worked. Eventually I tried SpyHunter, which was the only software which could even find SnapDo. Whilst scanning and finding it was free, I had to register to remove it. The cost was $39.95 for a 6 month licence, but when I uninstalled it (rather than pay) I was offered the reduced rate of $10. I paid the money and successfully removed SnapDo. The licence is renewed each 6 months automatically, which bothers me as I now have to remember to cancel my subscription before SpyHunter automatically takes the $39.95 out of my account. nonetheless SpyHunter was the only software or method which worked for the removal of SnapDo.

SpyHunter

by barryion ·

I totally agree with phodara.

by republic00kayla ·

I totally agree with phodara. You should follow his guidance to remove it manually.

Snap Toolbar Malware

by imkramer ·

Running Spybot this morning I discovered toolbar.snap on my system. Spybot could not delete the registry files in normal or safe mode so I set Spybot to do a scan on reboot before windows loaded. It took about half an hour to scan my HD but did remove the malware! 🙂
      I did another Spybot scan after I had booted up and it seems to be gone for now (unless it is set to reactivate at a later date).
      I hate fooling with the registry so was very relieved this method seems to have worked.
      As always, Spybot rocks! It was recommended to me by Dell tech support a few years ago.

Reponse To Answer

by dutcher1 ·

In reply to Snap Toolbar Malware

As a complete techno fool how do I set Spybot to scan on reboot before windows loaded?

Reponse To Answer

by daker ·

In reply to Snap Toolbar Malware

It depends on what version of Spybot you are using.If you are using Spybot 2 and it was unable to remove all the malware, it should automatically show a popup window, bottom left corner, asking if you would like a boot up scan.
        Earlier versions let you configure it to do so. You can find how out at Spybot forums.
        Here is a link:
        http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=41415

Oh yes ..Spybot ..

by imkramer ·

Is and always has been free!

Viewing 12 reply threads