Question

• Creator
    Topic

How do I install windows 2003 on a HP AiO1200r server?

by vdexoto ·

Hello all,
    I have been trying to find a solution for this but i am not successful until now. I hope you can advise me.

I have a AiO1200r server with 8x750GB HDDs. Currently it is running a win2003 storage server eddition. The 3 of the HDD got some read errors and I fear it will fail any day.
    I will replace the HDDs tomorrow and will have to install a normal windows 2003 server. How can I do that? I don’t suppose that the setup will recognize the new RAID config that i will make.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Viktor

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by vdexoto ·

In reply to How do I install windows 2003 on a HP AiO1200r server?

Clarifications

Well, you basically need the drivers for the RAID controller

by robo_dev ·

when you install Windows OS, it says ‘press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller’…well you need to do that.

Provided that the drivers are on a media the server can read, and they are the right drivers for Win2K3, Windows should recognize the drivers and will be able to see the drives as an install target.

But first, there is typically a RAID configuration process in BIOS at boot time, that lets you define/create the RAID array; there’s typically some ‘press Alt-f1 to enter raid configuration’ screen at boot-time.

Why not just swap-in your new drives one at a time and let RAID rebuild the array automatically? Lot faster than starting from scratch.

Yep I to have to ask

by oh smeg ·

Why not Replace the Faulty Drives one at a time and rebuild the RAID?

It’s the fastest easiest way to do things and it’s why you used a RAID Array in the First Place isn’t it?

Col

I will try it…

by vdexoto ·

It is a wish of the customer to remake the RAIDs. And I would also remake it because it is made quite shitty in my opinion. 3 RAIDs spread over 8 disks and by the opinion of HP support if I replace them one after the other I will transfer the erros as well.

I will try with the 3rd party drivers
      Thanks

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I will try it…

The Errors will not be related the the Partition Tables or File Structure

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I will try it…

.The Errors will not be related the the Partition Tables or File Structure .

But tot he RAID Array Itself where something is failing in one or more of the HDD.

When you rebuild the Array with a New Drive that has to be as big of Bigger than what came out and depending on the Drive Maker you may need to even go with the same Make Drives if they are IBM or Hitachi as their Sizes are larger than other makers same quoted size the Array is rebuilt without the Disc Errors that is currently on the Array.

Well that is what is supposed to happen though if the Array is so badly Damaged that it’ copies errors to the Rebuild you may need to reinstall the OS and RAID Drivers, though from my experience if the Array is so badly corrupted it’s not booting or has accessible Data on it by the time it gets to that stage.

Col

Viewing 3 reply threads