General discussion

How do I share Program Files in Win2000?

By vas ·
I Have 2 computers networked, one is running Windows 2000 Pro, the other one is Windows 98SE. Whenever I try to access the Program Files folder on my 2000 computer from 98, I get error
"\\W2K\Drive C\Program Files is not accessible
Access is denied.".
I can access all the other folders fine
(exept for documents and settings). Is there a way to let me access that folder or do I have to move whatever I want out of that folder?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by JeffG79 In reply to How do I share Program Fi ...

Are you sure that you have shared the program files folder, and its subfolders. From Windows Explorer, right click on the folder and choose Properties. From the Sharing tab, make sure the folder is shared.

Also, try going step by step to reach the remote folder. For example, try to connect to "\\Win2k". If that is successful, you will see a listing of all the available shared resources on the machine. Work from there to see what folders need to be shared.

Collapse -

by vas In reply to How do I share Program Fi ...

I can access the all the folders EXEPT the Program Files and the documents & settings. They are shown as shared, but I get access denied.

Collapse -

by courtsupport In reply to How do I share Program Fi ...

Go to my computer and right click on the C and get the properties on the drive. The C is shared to everyone on the network by default in Win2k. So check the permission on the drive. Also check the permission the program folder

Collapse -

Same as above. I can access all folders exept Program Files and Documents and Settings. And the permission for my user W98(windows 98SE computer) is set to full.

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to How do I share Program Fi ...

On the Win2000 computer... go to control panel --> Users and Passwords --> and Add the Win98 User name and password to the Win2000 computer. Then your Win98 user will be allowed access to the share on the Win2000 computer. "Access is denied" is the key here.

Collapse -

I have done that allready, but still I can't get into the Program Files folder.

Collapse -

by GMTurner In reply to How do I share Program Fi ...

Have you checked the security settings for the folders you can't access? Not the drive, but the actual folders. If my understanding is correct, these folders do not inherit their security settings, so you have to set them. Also, how are you trying to access the folders? Are you trying to map the drive, navigate to it through Network Neighborhood, or something else?

Collapse -

I have set Guest to have full control, and it now works. Thanks. I was attempting to access it by network neighborhood and by mapping the drive.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)