General discussion

how many ounces in a cup for coffee?

By CG IT ·
the coffee maker says it holds 10 cups, the coffee can says to use 1 tablespoon of coffee for every 6 oz of water.

so how many fluid ounces is 10 cups so that one uses the recommended 1 tablespoon per 6 oz of water? a cup, according to MacResource.com, is 5 oz. so 1 tablespoon of coffee for every cup?

that's a lot of coffee grounds...

for more mysteries of coffee and cups.... especially about why you put in 10 cups of water and get less out....

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,410733,410806

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

49 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Where I come from, a 'cup' is 8 ounces by volume.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to how many ounces in a cup ...

That's how the term is defined in cooking. That would be 80 ounces total, or 13 tablespoons and a pinch.

But I don't drink coffee. I don't know how the coffee maker manufacturer or the coffee vendor define cup, but I'd bet they're not defining it the same way. Yet another reason to switch to the metric system.

Collapse -

Nah

by Oz_Media In reply to Where I come from, a 'cup ...

If you switch to the metric system, you'll have some stupid neighbouring country using ancient imperial measurements still and almost everything has to be converted before you can compare it.

Collapse -

I resemble that remark

by robo_dev In reply to Nah

don't blame me. I was only a child in the 1970s when there was a half-hearted attempt to convert the US to metric.

Collapse -

LOL it's so common

by Oz_Media In reply to I resemble that remark

If the entire world decided to write left handed, the US would insist on US citizens using the right.

Most US companies won't even adopt the Robertson screw! They think that Phillips screws, being American design are superior, however even the most rudimentary testing proves otherwise.

A star strips with great ease (it's just two slots that are opposed, resulting the weakest screw besides the slotted screw. A Robertson (square) is all but impossible to strip when using a screwdriver that fits.

Just gotta be different because if you comply with anyone else, you are giving in, accepting weakness, becoming commies, recognizing someones superior design etc. Can't have that, America is better at EVERYTHING after all!

Here's what American set designers say when faced with using Robertson screws:
"hm, and they aren't more likely to strip than phillips heads? Uh, HELLO! You are a carpenter and don't know about Robertson screws?

These would have made set building in theatre much more fun.

Do these hold onto the screws even better than a magnetic bit in a drill gun does?

Duh, yes. JNow how about a magnetic Robertson bit? OMG IT'S AMAZING WHAT THEY CAN DO THESE DAYS!

Just the thought that people who work with wood screws for a living wouldn't know that Robertson's are 100X better is amazing!

"One of the most popular new designs of the screwdriver was made by Canadian P.L. Robertson, who inadvertently invented the screwdriver when he patented the first socket-headed screw in 1907.

"Meanwhile, Henry F. Phillips patented his own invention, an improved version of a deep socket with a cruciform, today known as the Phillips Screw.

What a dork! It's like man inventing the wheel and another guy inventing the cube to compete with it?!

One day, arrogance and that sense of superiority that many Americans still seem to wear on their sleeve will pass, but not any day soon.

Collapse -

And our grapes are sour too.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to LOL it's so common

Feel better now?

Collapse -

Never felt bad to begin with

by Oz_Media In reply to And our grapes are sour t ...

I know what side of the tracks I'm on.

Collapse -

A standard mug is 10 ounces, but it holds only 8

by DelbertPGH In reply to how many ounces in a cup ...

It holds 8 comfortably, not 10, unless you fill it to the very brim.

Collapse -

it's similar to hot dogs packaged in 8 and hot dog buns

by CG IT In reply to A standard mug is 10 ounc ...

packaged in 10.

Metric system gets rid of all the ambiguous measurments that seems to complicated to figure it out.

coffee makers hold cups of water but to make coffee you measure the grounds per ounce of water.... then there's the mystery of missing water. you put in 10 cups of water and invariably you get only 8 cups of coffee.

Collapse -

There's a reason for that though

by Oz_Media In reply to it's similar to hot dogs ...

If you buy 10 hot dog buns, you are lucky to find 8 that will be in shape and not be squashed, torn, gibbled or falling apart. :)

In case nobody's noticed, coffee machines heat the water and create a lot of steam. The coffee filter also soaks up water like a thin paper towel. The coffee grounds themselves also soak up and retain water. That wet filter, soggy grounds, steam and condensation is your extra water.

Collapse -

Another mystery of the universe solved.

by robo_dev In reply to There's a reason for that ...

Now if only I could figure out why people go well below the speed limit when passing the police, as if they earn extra good-behavior points for going more slowly.

Even better when they jam on the brakes, causing you to spill your beer and/or coffee, depending on the time of day.

Back to Community Forum
49 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next

General Discussion Forums