General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

How many users the ADSL Router can support

by phanthaihuan ·

Hi,

On our network we are using the Draytek V2910G for load balancing and failover. We have more than 60 users use Internet at the same times?

I would like to know how many users the Gateway (Draytek V2910) can support? With our network, is it overload?

I did find on Draytek home pages but I do not see the information I need.

Thanks for your kind attention. Any reply will be welcomed.

Regards,
    Huan

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Probably OK

by dombenson ·

In reply to How many users the ADSL Router can support

60 active users at a time is on the high side for a SOHO product, but it ought to be OK. There could be a problem if many users have lots of simultaneous connections open, as the NAT table could fill up. If you find that connections get dropped unexpected then you should consider getting a separate NAT/PAT device, or upgrading to a Draytek 3300.

It’s really not OK

by phanthaihuan ·

In reply to Probably OK

Thanks for your posting. But with our network, It’s really not OK. I did try to connect direct my laptop with the Router and use ping command, after 20 lines “Reply from …” I’ll see 1 or some line “Request times out.” This case I did in the same time with 60 active users.

I will consider the model you has suggested Draytek 3300.

Thanks

Look in the router diagnostics

by dombenson ·

In reply to It’s really not OK

I’m basing this on the 2950 and 2820 routers that I use, so it may be subtly different on your 2910.

If you log in to the web interface, select “Diagnostics” on the LHS, and then look at NAT Sessions Table, Data Flow Monitor and the traffic graph you should be able to get some more info.

On the traffic graph, look to see if your session count plateaus (levels off) at some large-ish number. This would suggest that additional sessions are requested but cannot be satisfied.

If you don’t, but you see large plateaus on either of the WAN bandwidth graphs, that might indicate that the timeouts are due to your WAN connection being saturated – how fast is it?

The data flow monitor tool gives you a handy summary of the active devices, and the number of sessions each has active. You might find that lots of sessions are being consumed by a server (if you have a public server behind your router), or by some rogue machine. If so, you could set it as a True-IP DMZ host (menu: NAT/DMZ Host -> Active True IP) if it is a server, or investigate the source of the connections if it is a client PC.

Another diagnostic would be to compare the success of ping from your laptop to the success of the ping tool in the router’s diagnostics. If the router one works substantially better than your laptop, that would support the issue being down to overloading the router.

Viewing 0 reply threads