Question

• Creator
    Topic

How to locate cause of vb/ActiveX run time error 429?

by a.macg ·

I have a vb6 (sp2) program that uses several ActiveX controls and components. It runs fine on XP and win 2K but after installing on Win 2003 server, 2 parts of the programme (responding to click events) cause the error “Run time error 429 – ActiveX components can’t create object”.

I have installed error handling in the associated click event procedures but it seems the error is raised prior to the procedures running as the error handler does not respond.

I have several components (DAO,ADODC MSHFlexgrid. Flexgrid DatControl) and references to Access 2000, Excel 97 and Data Environment plus usual vb standard references.

How can I find which ActiveX component or components are causing the problem. Will there be an entry in the event log or can I setup to get the application to record one?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Alex

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by a.macg ·

In reply to How to locate cause of vb/ActiveX run time error 429?

Clarifications

Missing compnenets on server

by robaaaaaa2 ·

I’ve had this before – in my case it was the fact that I was referencing an Excel object and excel was not installed on the server.

Discard Excel

by antonio_diaz ·

Hi!
      I also had a similar problem before, the problem was Excel when I try to create the reference to Excel App object.

If you compile the application and create an Excel object with a specific office version doesn’t work when you run the application in other machine with different office version, that was my problem.

To address this problem you could try to create your Excel objects in this way:

set xlApp=CreateObject(“Excel.Application”)
      instead of
      set xlApp=New Excel.Application

Try this to discard Excel…

Regards!

Make vb6(sp2) vb6(sp6)

by medbiller1 ·

Make sure youre running VB6 – SP6. (Maybe you ment to say Win XP SP2 by vb6(sp2). This happened to me with word & I solved it by installing the lates Word 2003 Prof. version.

Viewing 3 reply threads