Question

• Creator
    Topic

How to reload Server 2003 on a HD that isn’t showing as available?

by anlnba55 ·

So,
    I was given a Dell with Server 2003 on it. I thought I could install XP pro on it, so that I could potentially use it as a regular computer. So, I reformatted using the XP setup/boot disk, and somehow, it wiped everything off of the HD and made it completely unavailable. At one point, it would tell me that it couldn’t boot at all. So eventually I got into the setup utility (which is nothing like the regular set up on my other computers) and changed the boot sequence to boot to the CD drive. I used the Server 2003 Build and Update Utility disk, which includes the server OS installation. It boots from the CD, and then looks as though I could install it. When I click to install it, it tells me it can’t locate the HD. I’ve rebooted a ton of times and gone into the setup and it won’t show in there. It reads the CD drive okay, but nothing on the HD. I can’t get into anything as far as BIOS goes, just can look at what I’ve got in memory, and small little specs like that. Basically just able to enable or disable hardware. What do I do from here? I just want to get Server 2003 back on it so I can leave it as it was, since I’ve already purchased another computer. Please help!! I feel like such a noob. :p

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by anlnba55 ·

In reply to How to reload Server 2003 on a HD that isn’t showing as available?

Clarifications

It sounds like you have a SATA drive…

by peconet tietokoneet ·

What kind of DELL is it?

"I reformatted using the XP setup/boot disk,"

by seanferd ·

“and somehow, it wiped everything off of the HD and made it completely unavailable.
      Strangely enough, this is exactly the expected behavior of a formatted drive. What, exactly, were you expecting?

At one point, it would tell me that it couldn’t boot at all.

A formatted drive has nothing on it with which to boot a system.

When I click to install it, it tells me it can’t locate the HD.

You are quite possibly missing the drivers for SATA. See if the correct drivers are on the Dell disk, or check the Dell site. You can easily look nup all the relevant support material by entering your service tag number.

“I can’t get into anything as far as BIOS goes, just can look at what I’ve got in memory, and small little specs like that. Basically just able to enable or disable hardware.”

Does the HDD show up in BIOS or not? If it doesn’t, the drive is dead or disconnected.

Reponse To Answer

by anlnba55 ·

In reply to "I reformatted using the XP setup/boot disk,"

Yes, I understand what you mean. I knew that it would, obviously, format the disk. However, when it went to reboot after the install of XP, it wouldn’t do anything. It told me it couldn’t boot. And then I became stuck. Now, this was before I was in school for IT. I’ve had a few classes now, and have been able to try and mess with as much as I’m comfortable with. I’ve ensured that it’s completely plugged in, that the cables are completely secure and it has power. The HDD doesn’t show up in the bios. At all. It shows that there could be drive A, C, and D, and “B” is showing where the CD drive is. The CD drive is working great and the computer itself hasn’t made any beeps or anything that I’ve heard, so as to signal me what the problem is. The CD that I have has all of the drivers and such on it along with the software and everything to reload Server 2003. Do you think that the drive is just shot? 🙁 And it is a Dell PowerEdge T105.

Viewing 2 reply threads