Discussions

How to save money - Get the Office 2007 Upgrade instead of full version!

Tags:
+
0 Votes

How to save money - Get the Office 2007 Upgrade instead of full version!

steve.waddell
I just purchased a new HP dv9225us laptop as a replacement for a new Dell E520 (bad - had a bad motherboard and was only 3 weeks old! Interesting article on HP vs Dell: http://www.newsome.org/2007/02/why-hp-is-kicking-dells-***.shtml ). I love the features of this machine, and it was just on sale at CompUSA for $1349, a great deal for 2GB RAM, the AMD equivalent processesor as the Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB hard drive, Windows Vista Ultimate, and more. I needed Office 2007 Pro, and decided to buy the upgrade version due to the high cost of the full version, and I figured I would have to use my COA from the older versio of MS Office on my old PC. However, because the new HP I bought already had Microsoft Works, the upgrade worked!! If you're in the market, that's a considerable savings. Plus, I had Comp USA match COSTCO's price $271.22 by simply going to COSTCO's website right there in the COMPUSA store and showing them. They matched the price, and made only $6 on it per the store rep.
Oh, and one more tip - they were selling this HP PC at .8% below cost, and I asked if they were doing this as a loss leader to sell other items, and the rep said yes, that they basically look to sell additional warranties, which is where they would make better profit margins. I left with only the standard 1 year warranty that came with it.