Question

How to stop Office/Outlook 2003 from synchronizing

By ebecca ·
This seems to be a common and frustrating problem, and I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. My computer periodically tells me that Microsoft Office 2003 is synchronizing folders. While it's doing that - and it takes awhile - not much else can happen. I use only one computer, and I have nothing to synchronize. Can anyone tell me how to turn off synchronization?
Thanks so much!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

167 total posts (Page 2 of 17)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Synchronization of Folders

by ewillmes In reply to disable synchronize

My "Offline Folders" have been and are disabled; Outlook still synchronizes folders whenever I hit "Send and Receive", and sometimes it takes so long that I cannot receive my emails. The folks at MS don't have an answer (what else is new), and nobody in all the blogs has given the answer to this annoying issue yet.

Collapse -

Disabling "Synchronise" feature - reply

by ebecca In reply to Disabling "Synchronise" f ...

thanks for your reply. My computer synchronizes when I start up, not when I shut down. In the tools menu for My Documents, under "synchronize" it says there are no offline files to synchronize. But something or other is being synchronized! go figure.

Rebecca

Collapse -

Found a synchronize tab in windows folders

by librehombre In reply to Disabling "Synchronise" f ...

But it doesn't list any folders that it wants to synchronize.

I am working on a stand alone version of Outlook, not connected to an IT server.

How would you catch the folders or files listed as being synchronized? I never see any messages like this that I am aware of. I'll try to pay more attention.

Collapse -

"offline files" reply

by ebecca In reply to offline files

I've been out of town. sorry for the delay in responding.

My "tools>folder options" choices do not include an offline folders tab. Your solution sounds promising - any idea where I might find this menu?

Thanks so much.

Rebecca

Collapse -

Exchange Server .ost-file etc

by gunnarh In reply to "offline files" reply

If you use Outlokk in a stationary office environment you usually don?t have any offline .ost file to synchronize at all. All folder data are on the Exchange server. In a portable, laptop environment you have the offline file mirroring the server information and you might see the Outlook program synchronize. If you are not connected to a Exchange server at all you do not have any traces of any offline features and synchronizing in the Outlook menus and really you would not have any synchronizing going on either, but you might have... I will place another comment/reply in this thread on that where I find it appropriate.

Collapse -

Try this to stop synchronizing

by global111 In reply to thanks but I've tried mos ...

Open Windows Explorer and click on Tools from Menu Bar than click on Synchronize and remove and check marks that start the Synchronizing - check different Tabs and remove different check marks to Turn Off Automatically Synchronizing.

Collapse -

Also Try This to Stop Synching

by global111 In reply to Try this to stop synchron ...

Open Window Explorer and click on Tools - Folder Options and click on Offline Files and remove the Synchronize options that are checked off. Also check under the different Tabs under Folder Options and remove any unnessary check marks for synching.

Collapse -

synchronizing folders

by faloons In reply to How to stop Office/Outloo ...

ebecca,

Have you found a solution that works. My situation seems to be exactly the same as yours and, like you, have searched everywhere and tried every applicable solution suggested to no avail. Any ideas?

Collapse -

"Microsoft Office Outlook is Synchronizing Folders"

by JPK_ In reply to synchronizing folders

ebecca, faloons,

If you google that phrase exactly, you'll see lots of attempts to solve this problem, but I still haven't found one that works.

Pop3 email, outlook 2003. At least once a day it pops up saying "microsoft office outlook is synchronizing folders" and it locks up outlook. No offline files or exchange servers over here.

Starting to think about thunderbird...

Collapse -

faloons, jonpaul - from ebecca

by ebecca In reply to "Microsoft Office Outlook ...

My experience exactly. No, I haven't yet found anything that stops this from happening. What a pain!

Back to Software Forum
167 total posts (Page 2 of 17)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next