Question

• Creator
    Topic

How to View all 802.11 traffic in wireshark

by dekelley1 ·

I am having a bandwidth issue, something is using 4-5mb upload on my network.

I let my neibhor use my network, they have 2 laptops. We are all connected to a Linksys 54g wireless router.

There are 4 computers in total, 2 with vista, the others have XP pro. First of all I can’t monitor anything unless I’m physically connected to my router.

When I am physically connected I can only see traffic from my device, can anyone tll me what I need to do so I can see my entire LAN.

Thank you.

D

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by dekelley1 ·

In reply to How to View all 802.11 traffic in wireshark

Clarifications

how about this does your linksys have Syslog?

by cg it ·

you can monitor the syslog of the router which reports on inbound and outbound traffic. I use Syslog Watcher.

You can narrow down the high-usage by…

by preinie ·

Ask your neighbors to temporarily turn off their machines, or play around within the router to disable them for a bit and see if the traffic is still happening. That narrows it down to within your household, or out.

Narrow it down further by disabling individual computers.

Make sure to look at printer, scanner, etc too, although they only use bandwidth when sending or receiving files which is kinda obvious.

Get a hub and attach it to your modem and plug the router into the hub. Attach your computer to the hub. You’ll see all the traffic between the router and modem. You won’t see traffic between the other wireless devices (screen/file sharing). If you’re on a cable modem you’ll also see all the traffic from whoever else in your neighborhood is wired with cable internet, so you’ll have to set Wireshark to filter/pull packets for your modem’s IP. (Use whatismyip.org or .com or .net to find that.)

I’m not sure, but you might have to screw around with LAN IP addresses such as turn off router DHCP and give each device a static IP (the same one they had with DHCP).

Viewing 2 reply threads