General discussion

HP 5100c colors out of whack....

By GuyP ·
I was recently given an HP 5100c scanner and when I scan a color image everything has a blue-green tinge to it, instead of the white it should be. Almost seems like the scanner needs to be calibrated but there is no way to calibrate an HP scanner. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to HP 5100c colors out of wh ...

I have 2 ideas for you, neither of which are good news.

1. Someone replaced the lamp with a standard florescent lamp, and not the correct color-corrected lamp.

2. The lamp is going bad.

Start a scan with the cover open.
Does the light lookblue-green, or white?
If the light has a strong blue-green hue, then you need a new lamp.

I do not know off-hand where to get replacement lamps for scanners.
Most manufactures consider lamp replacement to be a service center, and not a user replaceable part.

Chas

Collapse -

by GuyP In reply to HP 5100c colors out of wh ...

Good answer, unfortunatly that was the first thing i thought of and have been through that process already, finding that the lamp is in perfect condition. Thanks for the answer anyhow.

Collapse -

by RCOM In reply to HP 5100c colors out of wh ...

Have you tried going through th software settings. The color matching or something like that may be wrong. Also if you didn't get it,I'd go to HP and download recent drivers and the user manual for the scanner.

Collapse -

The first thing I did was install the newest drivers, thats a must with anything newly installed. The software that comes with HP scanners does not have calibration components, that is where my problem lies. Thanks for your answer.

Collapse -

Does no one have any other ideas for me??

Collapse -

by Choppit In reply to HP 5100c colors out of wh ...

Most scanners self calibrate either at switch on or before the first scan. The colour output is referenced against a white patch and the CCD output offset accordingly. If the patch is discoloured the scans will be affected. This can occur if the patch is cleaned with aggressive fluids.

Something else that springs to mind is the PSU. Is the correct PSU being used. As CCDs are analogue devices they can be affected by voltage.

Collapse -

You are absolutly correct with your answer, but that is not the problem in my case. All of the proper hardware is being used, and the settings are correct. Thanks for the answer anyways.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)