General discussion

hp deskjet 940c printer USB connected

By burke949 ·
I have tried and tried to install this printer which is 3.4 version and am told by HP that it has problems downloading the drivers using a USB instead of a paralell port. I already have a LaxerJet on parallel and want to use the USB which I should be able to do. But HP had made it very difficult to do and I am asking, "Do you know of a better color printer that would work that isn't too costly or a way to do this before I take it back to the store?"

Thank you

LB

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to hp deskjet 940c printer U ...

What OS are you running?
If it is Windows 95, there are many problems with the USB support in 95.

I would first check and see if there are updated chipset drivers from the manufacture of your motherboard/system/chipset.

Installing them may take care of the issue.
If you have an AMD chipset, there is a patch for Windows 98 to correct a problem with the USB function.

The next option, short of a different printer, would be to install a second paralel port.

Collapse -

by burke949 In reply to hp deskjet 940c printer U ...

I have win 98 OS and have been able to successfully load the printer however I keep getting an "illegal operation" error message and it shuts down windows. I did a system performance check and it says the device driver is missing. I am disabling my firewall and virus scan to reload everything. They may be the problem. I need the USB because i also have a laserjet that I need to use on the same computer.

As I said it did work but I do get a message that something is missing.

LB

Thanks for your above help too.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)