Question

• Creator
    Topic

HP DV9000 with a blank screen

by bloach ·

A few months old HP DV9000 laptop. Display just went blank while operating the laptop. Now when I try to start it, their is no display but it boots normally otherwise. There are no beeps or sounds but just no display. I have tried removing the battery but that doesn’t help.

My guess is that there is some issue with Nvidia display drivers. Should I try an external display and try to update the driver or if there is any other solution?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by bloach ·

In reply to HP DV9000 with a blank screen

Clarifications

Since it is still new, you better send it back for repair.

by Anonymous ·

Send it for repair otherwise your warranty might be written off if you try to fix it yourself.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
      If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

There are a few issues with the recall.

by Anonymous ·

In reply to DV9000 were the subject of a recall …

One of my ex-contractors (I dropped him because he failed to respect my wishes with my personal equipment) sent a customers computer, a Compaq v6000 listed in the recall, back to HP under the recall program. Three weeks later the customer receives a call from HP informing him that the repairs would cost $700. The customer contacted me, I contacted my attorney who contacted the owner and obtained the proper information releases and telephoned HP. HP called the owner of the computer and then the customer asking if an attorney were involved and received an affirmative answer. HP then changed their story (they claimed water damage) and ordered the NB to be repaired at HP’s cost and that it would be shipped at the end of the week. That was three weeks ago. HP now asserts that they cannot ship the computer on time because of the weather conditions in Texas where the repair facility is. This is also bogus, or was when I shipped my own DV9000’s in for repair because they were sent to Santa Rosa, Ca. Who do I believe, someone one the telephone, or my own repair invoices?

At any rate I thought I would let others know of the deceit that HP is promulgating under the warranty recall.

I’d have thought that after the class action lawsuit, HP would

by older mycroft ·

In reply to There are a few issues with the recall.

Be watching their proverbial Ps & Qs now.

Maybe there’s been an onslaught of machines and they can’t keep up, that’s one thing. But to chance their arm with phoney costs, that’s just downright dirty. 😉

HP is a multinational.

by Anonymous ·

In reply to I’d have thought that after the class action lawsuit, HP would

Class action suits are fine, but when you win, where is the money?

My DV 9225 had to go back to HP seven times. Hp’s policy is that three returns with parts replacement and the machine is to be replaced with a new or equivalent machine. After the seventh return HP replaced my DV 9225 with a DV 9700 which was inferior to the 9225. I took both machines to my attorney, he advised I keep both until HP provided an equivalent machine. After two letters from HP, I repaired the 9225 and kept both machines.

If you are curious, the DV 9700 was inferior in the graphics card memory bandwidth. The DV 9700 has a discrete Nvidia gs 8400 whereas the 9225 has a gs 7600 the bandwidth is 3.6 GBs/sec vs 19.6 Gbs/sec, respectively. I do a lot of programming using the graphics card for for processing. Graphics card performance is a major issue. Even Vista’s testing tool picked up the difference. The 9700 has a performance index of 3.0 whereas the 9225 has a performance index of 4.6.

Since I fix these machines, I expect mine to operate without problems and will not repair my own; in this case, I figured that I paid $1800 cash for the machine and received less than 2 months of service from it, I would repair it.

Same problem, model not recalled

by brian ·

I have what appears to be the same problem with a dv9500, which was not included in the recall (they recalled up to the 9400), so it looks like I’m on the hook for a new motherboard out of my own pocket. Before I spring for one, though, I’d like to know if there are any diagnostic tools anyone can recommend, so I can be sure it’s the motherboard, and not some other problem.

I’m actually pretty pissed that this was not recalled. I spoke with a tech on the phone today (bestbuy sent it to a geek squad facility in KY) who said he sees the dv series come in all the time with the same problem. I even spoke with someone at hp who told me that, yes, I probably was having the exact same problem that caused the other models to be recalled, but that I was out of luck since I own a 9500. If anyone else is having this issue, and you’re a lawyer, or know one, and want to talk class action, let me know!

black screen on dv9727us

by edursun ·

In reply to Same problem, model not recalled

Hi Brian, i am having the same problem with my HP DV9727us. And unfortunately my model number is not listed as under warranty either. Count me in if there is any legal action or solution for this issue. Thanks.

Another Blank Screen on dv9000

by arrobajay ·

In reply to black screen on dv9727us

Hi all,

There was me thinking my problem was a rarity… I guess not?! On saturday I was using my laptop in perfect working order. Sunday, came to power it up having not moved it, and all I got was the blue lights across the quickplay strip. A quick sound from the CD drive is it tried to spin up, but that was all. The fan then slowed right down, and I still saw nothing on the screen. Mine is a dv9820ea, which given it’s a high model number, you would have thought the parts which were installed would be of a little higher quality than usual, certainly not failing after just over a year of ownership.

My dilemma now is that I read article after article all over the internet, highlighting issues of this nature, and a huge number of recalls, but not to my model number either. I tried to call HP on the phone, but their automated phone lines just keep sending me back to the web site and hanging up!

I’m from the UK, so their online support doesn’t include my product. I’m a bit stuck as to what to do next, as I still haven’t received a reply to my 2 emails which I’ve sent to them!

Cheers,
          Jay

Blank screen for dv9233cl laptop

by baronk ·

In reply to Another Blank Screen on dv9000

Same thing happened to my HP. Blank screen. Went to local tech support– they said it was a faulty graphics chip that is due soley to a manufacturing error. My serial number also does not match the recalled models listed on the HP website. I haven’t called HP yet but I intend to make a stink until I get justice!

HP DV9000 Warning! Banned from HP’s site!

by stfenn ·

HP DV9000 Warning! Banned from HP’s site!

Bad motherboard, overheating problem, no support from HP

I have been banned from HP’s web site for posting this. Therefore, I am going to post on every web site I can. My son bought an HP DV9235, which is a lot of money for him as he is 23 years old. I called for support and they gave me the standard BS “$400 for repair”. This “repair” would not permanently fix the problem as overheating is one of the main causes of the problem.

So… I called the BBB, the FTC and the Ca Dept of Consumer Affairs. The CDCA was the only agency that replied. I spoke with a nice lady (details below) that said she would pursue my complaint with HP’s legal department. I encouraged her to go public with the information she has to help others rather than just to pursue my complaint.

Here is the information that got me banned:

Loretta Dyson
          Staff Services Analyst
          Department of Consumer Affairs
          Hayward Complaint Resolution Program
          (510)881-4026 phone
          (510)888-7060 fax

Good luck dealing with HP!

Why would HP continue to produce a garbadge laptop?

by wings4u ·

How is that a company can keep putting inferior, problamatic products on the market and know there not worth there weight in dung. HP should be banned from manufacturing any laptop products and spare the public the despair and frustration when one of there products go down. They will inevitably falter – then the only recourse is to use there India based tech service center that’s as motivated as a marine getting word he’s about to deploy for his 7th time.
        Ive had one laptop repaired three times a known flawed unit model dv9047. I had to have it’s mother board and graffic card replaced with the same units that were listed as faulty and paid a sizeable fee for the work. Never again!!! I suggest anyone looking for a new laptop to start by eliminating HP right from the start!

Reponse To Answer

by n.gurr ·

There is a massive problem with the HP 9xxx series, the solder leaves the board and the gfx card needs a process called reballing (I think) which involves heating it up a lot and getting the solder into the correct places. This is a design issue which they may have sorted – unless someone can definitively comment I would return it. At the very least get it back to them to repair. When I last came across this issue HP refused to admit that they had a problem and would not issue a recall. One of the staff where I work lost the use of ??1.5ks worth of luxuriously specced kit this way. There are loads of out of warranty broken dv9xxxs on ebay. There is more info easily available via Google.

SOLVED display not showing

by jsolis ·

PROBLEM SOLVED

I had the same problem of display not showing when I opened my laptop, and after trying these suggestions and others found in other sites, the problem was not solved.

The problem diminished when I lift up the laptop to allow air come in.

One friend told me he had the same problem with his hp laptop of a different model and he solved it by spaying the fan area to clean all accumulated dust. I made the same and the problem is solved.

Hope this helps.

Cleaning the laptop fan…??

by rational dreamer ·

The problem is definitely with the GPU overheating next to the processor. I have 3 machines that HP will not touch in my shop right now and the very first thing I do with any machine that comes into my shop is clean it. From past experience dirty and overheated machines have problems just because they are dirty and overheating. Nevertheless, the GPU problems continue and are not confined to any one particular model in HP’s line. I have direct personal experience with TX1000’s, DV6000, and DV9000 and a solid block of dry ice in a clean room would not be enough for these machines. Every manufacturer has problems occasionally; however, HP’s poor customer support and intransigence regarding warranty support has made it certain that neither myself nor anyone that comes to my shop for help will buy HP for a long time to come.

Potential Repairs

by rational dreamer ·

Incidentally, There are some rather unusual repairs for these issues that I have heard about. While I am certain that no IT department head would approve of them, some are promising; however, I am also certain that they WILL violate any warranty or extension so thread carefully. Should I be successful, I will write about it on this thread.

Regarding HPs recall of this and other DVxxxx series…

by smartacew0lf ·

While it is noble that HP has voluntarily issued an enhanced warranty on many of their DV series of notebooks, I must add that in my experience of shipping more than a half dozen back for repair under these circumstances, that it is a toin coss as to how they will react once it is returned. I have never gotten a lawyer involved, but at least 50 percent of the time I have had the HP technicians call back and try to place the blame on the user. Once I was even told that the faulty item was in fact the processor and unfortunately the processor was not covered in the enhanced warranty! So, while HP management appears to be trying to do the right thing, often their technical staff just tries to pass the buck by shifting the blame. Not sure what the true underlying problem is there. Just for the record though, I have sent back 6 notebooks. Out of the 6, three were repaired and returned without incident. Two of them had to be sent back a second time with a challenging response to their decision about why they elected NOT to repair them and finally returned back to me repaired. One was sent back a second time and returned to me unrepaired. I returned it to the customer with their explanation. He reported to me later that he called them once again at a later date and managed to get the unit sent in and repaired. This one incidentally, had in fact had something spilled into it but the visual evidence of it was nonexistent aside from the keyboard which I had replaced already.

Not a real good track record if you ask me.

DV 9000 With blank screen for more than 6 months/mysteriously reboots

by lchmst ·

I am logged into the site right now on my DV9000 which I just rebooted with a clean install of windows 7 for the first time in nearly a year………. one day I turned it on and got a System Service Exception BSOD. Following the BSOD it came on the screen would backlight but no boot screen ……no hp screen no windows boot (vista)……nothing just a back lit screen that sort of morphed from light to dark, in a top to bottom side to side fashion…….occasionally some color pigment could be seen. This was the scene every time I booted this computer for nearly a year.

Tonight I turned it on to try to install a new hdd. I installed it after removing the old drive and got the same response. While leaving the computer on I removed the newly installed drive and attempted. to load the boot disk for win7. (sometimes the bad hdd will not allow the boot disk to load.) At first I got the same black screen. I left the disk in and stepped away not thinking much of the fact. After several moments I returned to fined the windows loading screen clearly visible on the screen *from the boot disk…….
      I immediately installed the hdd again and rebooted the system. The system rebooted and loaded win7 perfectly on the first attempt.

It is only now I realize there is a recall on this unit after googling the driver download page. As I am typing with the unit in my lap……..it is extremely hot on the left hand side. Never noticed that before so much until now. Also the hinges, though not broken, appear very loose and shaky, seeming to rotate a full three quarters of an inch before the hinge loads and begins to close the lid……..could very well be the reason the unit mysteriously went kaput to start with and as mysteriously rebooted.

Just wanted to share that info. I just joined the community recently and this is my first post. Hope this is helpful to someone experiencing similar issues…….not sure if I want to send it in though…..judging from the customer support nightmares I just read, it may be better off if I don’t.

I am still in shock that it came back on, so I have not turned it off since updating windows. Tomorrow I am gonna reinstall the original vista drive and see if it boots normally. Will keep the community posted on the progress and will at least attempt to contact HP.

Lchmst

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Update…….

by lchmst ·

As of today, I am still using the laptop……It has been hard to keep it running since it overheats, shuts down, reboots and the cycle begins anew. Today I updated the BIOS. Amazingly, the unit has been very stable since then and has not shut down. I am alternating between the original Windows Vista 64bit and Windows7 64bit ….(I have two separate hdd’s) so while I load the BIOS while using the Vista hdd, when the system appeared stable, I shut down the unit and installed the Win7 hdd, and it has been running ever since…………the unit does not seem to be overheating as badly as before either. Could be because I have been leaving it near the AC to help keep it cool (right now its on my lap and still seems pretty cool in comparison). Could be that the BIOS update actually help to resolve the issue. I will know better in a few days.

Immediately following the BIOS upgrade the system did a start up repair and following that it has been pretty stable………hope this information is helpful to someone……..

I’ll tell you what I did

by misterman ·

I have a degree in electrical engineering but I’m not up to speed on how they fix laptops. But I had the same thing happen to me. I went through all the forums and tried what I could, short of doing anything drastic like taking a blow torch to it. After I exhausted all reasonable options, I sent it to a facility in Florida called AdvancedLaptopRepair.com but I saw they just merged with some other company called The Computer Bros in Clearwater Florida. Well, in any event, I sent my laptop in and they fixed it quickly. The only thing is that when I got it back, the fan was on high all the time. When I called they told me that the fan modification was necessary in order to protect the laptop from another failure. As long as this machine holds out for another year or so, I’ll be happy. Not sure if I’d buy another HP but, I love the machine it’s got everything I want in a laptop. Not sure if this helps at all but hopefully this helps a little. Cheers

Viewing 9 reply threads