Question

• Creator
    Topic

HP M7367c Motherboard does not recognize WD SATA Drive

by rod ·

Recently I replaced my original hard drive (which stopped working due to a static electric dischage – so i believe) with a Western Digital 500 g SATA drive.

The BIOS recognizes the new drive however the motherboard does not. i have used WD Data Tools to partition the hard drive and format it and the WD Data Tools recognizes it as a BIOS drive. (There are two tabs in the Data Lifeguard tools configuration utility, one that says Motherboard controller and the other that says unknown controller). This new drive is listed under unknown controller.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Put a jumper on the SATA drive to drop it down to SATA 1 instead of SATA2

2. Changed the port on the motherboard that the SATA controller plugs into (from black to blue)

3. Tried a friends hard drive (which booted normally)

4. Called WD who said that i should take it back to the store and buy something else! (Huh!)

I cannot get the old hard drive to power up at all. This new hard drive gets power.

I have been trying to install windows server on the hard drive. The windows program loads into memory and then says that there are no recognized hard drives in the system and thus it will not continue the install.

I do not have any floppy drives in my system unit. I have heard from others that there is some way you can flash the bios or load drivers but in both cases it required a floppy disk.

Before I physically take the PC to a repair guy or GOD FORBID the young punks at Best Buy, I was hoping one of the techs out there can sift through my notes and determine specifically what the problem is.

A few more things:

The BIOS does show it as SATA-1 (so the jumper is working to drop the speed down)

The Lifeguard tools were able to create three partitions and format the partitions, but these were on the BIOS drive listed under the unknown controller tab.

Let me know what you come up with please….

Kind Regards,

Rod Urand.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by rod ·

In reply to HP M7367c Motherboard does not recognize WD SATA Drive

Clarifications

a thought

by —tk— ·

It seems as though its actually XP that isn’t seeing the drive. to test this out try getting a linux live CD and try and install that… that way you can test out this theory. If linux installs, the you will need to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP cd. Or hit f6 and load the sata drivers so XP can see the drive.

Your mistake here is in not loading the SATA Driver

by oh smeg ·

When the first Blue Screen on the Windows Installer Appears you need to press the [b]F6 Key[/b] and wait till you are prompted to insert a Floppy Disc with the Drivers normally SCSI or RAID but it could include SATA depending on the version of Windows. But no matter this is to install Nonstandard Drivers that your specific hardware has.

You need to copy the SATA Driver to the Root of a Floppy and when prompted insert the Disc and press enter. This will load the SATA Driver and allow Windows to access the HDD to load itself on.

You should find the SATA Driver on the HP Web Site for this system and as HP do not make M’Boards you will also find it on the M’Board Makers Web Site. 🙂

Remove the Jumper and let it run in Native Mode the Unknown Controller is the On Board SATA Controller and this is perfectly normal with some Older Chip Set M’Boards they do not have Native SATA Support.

If you don’t have a Floppy drive and do not want to temporally fit one you can Slipstream the SATA Drivers to a Install Disc that you make specifically for this hardware just like HP does for their systems. Depending on the OS in use here you can use nLite

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

don’t forget the directions located here

http://www.nliteos.com/guides.html

Or vLite

http://www.vlite.net/download.html

again the destructions are listed here

http://www.vlite.net/help/

Col

Col

Thank You and Follow Up

by rod ·

In reply to Your mistake here is in not loading the SATA Driver

Thank you to the two of you who have responded. I believe that you are both correct.

I can buy a floppy drive, but I would rather learn how to slipstream. I tried it tonight and the process is actually really easy. i just have one last question…

Using the nlite program, it is looking for .inf files as drivers to add to the install disk. I can only find from Intel a executable disk (for f6 purposes) and the HP website appears to be confusing.

Can I ask someone to go to the HP.com website and tell me specifically which of the many drivers I need to include in my slipstream.

There is no SATA driver option.

if I cannot get this to work, and I want to avoid having to buy a floppy disk, is there any way to install a ide controller card into a pci slot (current ide card is full with the dvd drives)and install an IDE drive instead?

Will and IDE drive be recognized?

My preference is to slipstream (because I will learn from it that way) but i am just lost on which inf files.

One last thing….I can’t be the first person to replace a SATA drive. Do all SATA drives have this problem? Given that PC’s rarely come with a floppy drive nowadays, wouldn’t there be a ton of people haveing the same problem?

I read that Vista allows you to load the SATA drivers via CD, but when I tried loading Vista i got a “BIOS is non compliant” error. Huh?

Thanks again.

I can look but HP can use different M’Boards over a single model system

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Thank You and Follow Up

That is probably why there are so many different Drivers available.

Just a Hint here the SATA Drivers may be called RAID Drivers or you may be required to unzip a download from HP. Some of these Downloads unzip and then install themselves and only use the required drivers for that Hardware that is present. You can do the same thing with nLite here use all of the listed Drivers and when you come to install the OS only the required drivers will be used. Other than using a bit more space on the CD that you burn it makes no difference.

OH BTW I always tell nLite to make a ISO Image when it completes the process so I can burn from the ISO to a CD but maybe I’m just more comfortable working with ISO’s.

You require the Promise & Intel RAID Drivers located here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1831238

If you know you defiantly have a Promise SATA Controller or a Intel Controller you only need the one you defiantly have.

But you should add in the Sound Drivers as well because these are not digitally signed and need to be installed before you allow the computer to contact the Windows Update Servers.

Col

From Bad to Worse

by rod ·

In reply to I can look but HP can use different M’Boards over a single model system

Hi Col,

I noticed that you are from Australia. I was born and raised there. Moved over here in 1995.

Thanks so far for what you have given me, however…..

1. The RAID controller on the Hp.com website is a self extracting file that does not give me permission to choose the location of the files to extract to.

2. The RAID controller also requires a BIOS version that is higher than the version i currently have and because there is no operating system on the unit, I am unable to flash the BIOS with a new version.

3. I found drivers on the Intel website (think they are the right ones) and successfully make the slipstream cd using nlite.

However….

Windows recognizes the hard drive partitions (partitioned under the 137 gig because it is a standalone xp, not a service pack). I accept the licence agreement and then when I press enter to load xp on the one partition i get the bsod with an 0x0…8e error.

That seems to be memory related but i have reseated all the memory and done it four times using just one memory module at a time.

Questions…

1. Could that error be because i have the wrong SATA driver

2. Isn’t it easier to just buy an IDE controller and drive at this point?

Thanks again mate!

OK with nLite you can also add the service packs

by oh smeg ·

In reply to From Bad to Worse

Typically I include SP3 with my Volume License Copy of XP and that works a treat though I suppose I should dig out a latter version of XP that M$ sent me after I bought the Original Volume License just after XP was sent RTM but before it was available to the public. That would solve the Max Partition Size Issue for you at the very least as I have used the above to install XP to a new computer with a Striped RAID array on 500 GIG HDD’s. You can download SP3 from M$ here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

The ISO works a treat with nLite so don’t worry about it.

God no it’s happened again I got hit with a question about something I do all of the time & I couldn’t remember how I did it and had to sit in front of a computer and do it without thinking, but here I don’t have any that need to be reloaded so I can not remember what comes after Accepting the License Agreement. But assuming that the HDD are correctly setup the unit should start running from the files copied to the HDD after formatting it. I think you’ll find that the BIOS is the problem here and as HP’s Update is next to useless you’ll have to look at the M’Board for a Makers Name & Model Number and go to their Web Site to download the DOS Utility and BIOS Update File and follow their directions on how to update the BIOS.

If you have to use the HP BIOS Update you may need to load Windows to a IDE HDD so any IDE HDD that you have would do provided that it’s not full of data then run the BIOS Update and then remove the IDE HDD reconnect the SATA HDD and then rerun the Windows Installer again.

I don’t think you’ll find that there is a RAM problem here but a straight BIOS issue that is causing this to happen.

Col

Problem Solved

by rod ·

In reply to OK with nLite you can also add the service packs

OK Col!!!

We have a winner. Here is the solution…

I went to the Intel website and downloaded the drivers for my motherboard (which you were right – is different for the same model). I extracted them (it is the F6 tool) to a folder and brought them in as part of the install slipstream. Nlite worked a treat (except the first time I chose PNP drivers, the second time I chose the other option – textmount or something). The drivers loaded, Windows recognized the hard drive, the program no longer gave me the BSOD and it installed after properly formatting the c drive.

when windows loaded, I then flashed the bios just to be safe and we are back up and running.

Now, fingers crossed, I am going to re-install the remaining memory (2 sticks) and hopefully be back and running.

Let me be clear to all who are reading this post…Col is the guy you want on your side. I completely recommend his help for two reasons. 1. It was specific and well written. The documented help was easy to understand and follow. 2. Col was responsive. There was not a day go by without a response.

Thank you Col. You were a great help!

Your Welcome glad to help. NT

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Problem Solved

Viewing 2 reply threads