General discussion

HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIOS PWD REMOVAL

By ignaciocortez ·
WHICH CONTACTS SHOULD I SHORT TO BE ABLE TO RESET THE BIOS PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP, I JUST BOUGHT THIS OF EBAY AND THE SELLER DID NOT KNOW THE PASSWORD, ALSO, WHERE IS THE C-MOS /BIOS BATTERY ON THAT PARTICULAR MODEL??

ANY HELP IT'S GREATLEY APPRECIATED.

I TRIED THE OVERRIDE PASSWORDS LOCATED IN SOME OF THE WEBISTES FOR MY PARTICULAR BIOS BUT NO HELP.

I HAVE PHOENIX BIOS 4.0 VER 6.0

CAN ANYONE HELP??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...

On most laptops, the settings are stored in non-volatile memory and not CMOS.

So, there is nothing to short out to clear a password, or a CMOS battery.

Here is a link to HP's page on resetting laptop passwords:

http://tinyurl.com/fic9

Chas

Collapse -

by ignaciocortez In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...
Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

THOUGH HP DOES NOT HAVE A PUBLISHED RESET OR BYPASS PASSWORD OR JUMPER SETTINGS TO RESET THE BIOS, IT STILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO DO SO, EVERY MANUFACTURER CREATES A BACKDOOR TO THEIR SYSTEMS FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT PURPOSES AND I'M SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. ON THE PHOENIX BIOS I'VE TRIED THE PASSWORDS FOR THE OLDER VERSIONS (phoenix, PHOENIX, setup, SETUP) neither work

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...

You are right. There are probably a large number of HP technicians that know what the procedure is. However, since HP's official policy is not to give this to end users this information, any HP tech would probably loose his livelyhood if he gave this out.

In addition to the policy shown at the link Chas gave you, you can read an expanded version on page 5-1 of the HP Omnibook 4100/4150 Service Manual (downloadable from HP).

If going through HP Technical Support is not an option for you (for whatever reason), you are stuck going the route suggested by Answer 2 (except he probaly meant this URL -
http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_hp.shtml)

Collapse -

WELL, NOT NECESARILY HP TECHNICIANS, BUT OTHER TECHNICIANS THAT HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM/SITUATION AS WELL. I AM WELL AWARE OF HP
S POLICY AND I'M SURE THEY WILL NOT HELP ME SINCE AS I STATED B4 THIS IS A USED LAPTOP BOUGHT OF OF E-BAY. MORE THAN LIKELY WAS A SYSTEM REPLACED BY A REFRESH/ SCHEDULED UPGRADE TO AN ENTERPRISE THE SELLER WAS NOT ABLE TO HELP WITH THAT INFORMATION AS EITHER. ANSWER 2 IS NOT A OPTION, I RATHER NOT SPEND $100+ ON A CHIP. ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS WHERE IS THE CMOS/BIOS BATTERY ON THIS PARTICUALR PC

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...

Looking through the service manual.

Download from http://tinyurl.com/fobb

There is NOT a CMOS battery on this notebook.

As I stated in my first answer, many if not most notebook PCs do NOT use a battery for BIOS settings. They use non-volatile memory.

Further, reading through the manual section on CPU and BIOS IC replacement, the programming of the BIOS IC is a complex and detailed procedure.

Unless you suspect that the ebay seller sold you a stolen notebook, you have nothing to loose by contacting HP.

Yes, I know it is a pain. HP (and IBM and Toshiba) has this password policy to protect users who's laptop has been stolen.
If they made it easy for you to reset the password, it would be just as easy for a thief or fence to reset the password.

From what I read in the service manual, it does not look like the password reset is a simple process that even an expert tech could just stumble upon.

My guess is that changing the password involves a complex algorithm using the unit's BIOS serial number.
You provide your proof of ownership and serial number, HP enters the serial number into a program that generates a back door password that is unique for each serial number.

Chas

Collapse -

PS
THIS LAPTOP DOES HAVE A BATTERY

I HAVE OPENED IT AND SEEN IT, BUT IT'S SOLDERED IN AND THOUGH I'M AN EXPERIENCED ELECTRONICS ENGINEER I RATHER NOT MESS WITH THE MB AT THE MOMENT, I HAVE E-MAILED HP HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ABLE TO GET AN ANSWER FROM THEM

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to HP OMNIBOOK 4100 CMOS/BIO ...

The password is stored in a security chip that is not affected by the removal of power.

This means you could pull the chip out and place it on the kitchen counter and it will still retain that password.

This might not be your only problem. Chances are the hard drive has a password on it as well.

Good Luck Your Gonna Need It

Back to Hardware Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)