General discussion

HP Pavilion video chip failures

By Doc Logic ·
My zv6000 has defective embedded video chip and they say it requies mother board replacement. Found YouTube video about heating with heat gun to fix (But don't believe that could work). Problem found under DV series HP laptops as well.

UPDATE: Have re-checked YouTube on Search for "Pavilion video chip", several videos . Report is that original overheat causes soldered connections to fail and removing all chips, plastic labels, attached components, etc. and baking motherboart alone in oven (over foil) for 10-20 min at approx 400 degrees will re-solder the the failed motherboard connections. Mine is useless (as they say on YouTube) so I'll try it to confirm or invalidate; IF it works I'll and report back in a few days.

NOTE: This process requires disassembly with nearly 40 screws of varing lengths and removal of many attached components. HP gives disassembly guides, but one should also map out screw placement (especially length of screws) to make re-assembly easier. I Also suggest an un-disturbed workplace and static safety to avoid other problems. Be ready with heat sink compound for re-assembly in order to prevent re-occurence of original problem and of course clean off all dust (and pet hair in my case) while you have the thing apart (also good time to clean keyboard but be gentle there).

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A MORE LOGICAL (NOT SO DRASTIC) IDEA???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Hardware Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums