id="info"

Question

I CAN'T CHANGE THE BOOT SEQUENCE ON MY ACER ASPIRE 5520

By POINTMAN8883 ·
My initial screen says "A disk read error occured "....i tried going into the Bios to change the boot sequence to reformat , but it won't let me change it .

I'm thinking about getting a new hard drive , since this one is obviously corrupted......but will a new hard drive allow me to reformat ??

Or , is there another way around this without buying a new hard drive ?....It bugs me that i can't change the boot sequence...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You won't be able to change the boot sequence IF....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to I CAN'T CHANGE THE BOOT S ...

... IF no other bootable device has been detected.

Go in to the parts where it shows the devices, not the boot sequence, but the devices themselves. Do you see any hard drive detected? Do you see a CD/DVD detected? Do you see a Floppy detected?

What devices are detected? It's entirely possible your motherboard is toast.

Collapse -

BOTH ARE DETECTED

by POINTMAN8883 In reply to You won't be able to chan ...

THE CD/DVD DRIVE & THE HARD DRIVE ARE BOTH DETECTED.....THERES NO FLOPPY....

HERES THE QUOTE ON THE BOOT SEQUENCE.....ALL ITEMS ON THIS MENU CANNOT BE MODIFIED IN USER MODE . IF ANY ITEMS REQUIRE CHANGES , PLEASE CONSULT YOUR SYSTEM SUPERVISOR "

Collapse -

How did you enter the BIOS screen?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to BOTH ARE DETECTED

You've entered in User mode in which case, no you can't change anything.

What did you press to get into the BIOS and when?

Collapse -

I PRESSED F2

by POINTMAN8883 In reply to How did you enter the BIO ...

I PRESSED F2.....THATS HOW I GOT IN....NO WINDOWS SCREEN.....

JUST ACER BOOT UP SCREEN , THEN I HIT F2

IF I DONT......I GET THE INITIAL SCREEN AS I EXPLAINED IN THE FIRST POST

IM WONDERING IF A NEW HARD DRIVE WILL FIX ALL OF THIS...

Collapse -

First of all........

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to BOTH ARE DETECTED

TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, editing your original post nearly 2 hours after you've posted it and changing the 'story' doesn't help us to help you. The first time you posted this, you did NOT mention that it said to consult your system supervisor. So now, the TRUE story comes out! ***sigh***

Your BIOS has a supervisor password set on it which prevents any changes being made to them. You will need to enter the BIOS using that password to unlock them before any changes can be made.

And... in your subsequent post, you asked if changing the hard drive would help. At this point, no it will not help. Without entering the BIOS using the supervisor password, it will not be able to auto-detect the new hard drive.

Collapse -

I didn't change my story.......

by POINTMAN8883 In reply to First of all........

First of all.....I didn't change my story..... I only corrected three typos consisting of one letter each.....I didn't notice them until 30 mins after I posted....Not 2 hours.....

The reason I wrote in caps was because. I didn't have my glasses and I wanted to respond quickly.....

You are wayyy too beside yourself and you obviously can't afford to look as stupid as you apparently are......

People like you are the main reason why senseless wars exist.....

As for the problem.....I already got a new hard drive and all is well......

And to think I couldn't wait to thank u for your help.....

I only wish I could thank you in person.....

Collapse -

Well, Im glad the new drive works,

by seanferd In reply to I didn't change my story. ...

But you did not mention in your first post the <i>most important fact</i>, i.e., that you could not change BIOS settings as you hadn't entered the supervisor password.

That's like complaining of a mysterious pain to a doctor over the phone without admitting you'd hit yourself with a hammer.

"People like you are the main reason why senseless wars exist....."

That is a bit over-the-top. People like ThumbsUp2 are the main reason why other people get their misbehaving technology diagnosed and fixed, for free, no less. Now, she may be mistaken about your editing of your first post, but on the subject of posting in ALL CAPS, she is quite right. This is considered as YELLING everywhere on the internets, regardless as to how much some people prefer it, or the condition of their eyesight. Best bet is to either wear your glasses, or make use of display, browser, or Windows accessibility adjustments so that you are not straining your eyes, and not posting in all caps. You could also type your post in a text editor with a large font and in bold if it helps, then copy & paste it into your browser.

Anyway, if you need to change BIOS settings in the future, best get a hold of that supervisor password.

Collapse -

CHECK THIS OUT......

by POINTMAN8883 In reply to Well, Im glad the new dri ...

YOU CAN TAKE MY CAPS ANYWAY YOU WANT...BUT THERE'S NO REASON FOR ME TO YELL AT ANYONE....(try asking a person why before you go ASSUMING....

YOU SAID THIS : But you did not mention in your first post the most important fact, i.e., that you could not change BIOS settings as you hadn't entered the supervisor password.

THE PASSWORD AS YOU SAY....WAS ALREADY ENTERED....PLUS , YOU NEVER ASKED.....AND I DIDNT OFFER IT BECAUSE I DIDNT KNOW THAT IT WAS THAT IMPORTANT....ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING I ALREADY HAD IT & USED IT( I can't think ahead of you when im not sure of the problem.....which is why i brought it here to begin with....also , im not a mind reader )

THEN YOU SAID : That's like complaining of a mysterious pain to a doctor over the phone without admitting you'd hit yourself with a hammer.

THAT RIGHT THERE IS UTTERLY SENSELESS....HOW CAN I OFFER TO TELL YOU ABOUT A SUPERVISOR PASSWORD WHEN IT IS NEW TO ME ???....AGAIN I SAY , I'M NOT A MIND READER....

I JUST NOTICED THAT THERE IS TWO OF YOU THAT I'M REPLYING TO....LET ME SAY THIS THEN , TO THE WOMAN WHO WAS DISTURBED BY MY CAPS.....IF YOU READ MY REPLY CORRECTLY , YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTICED ONE THING ABOVE ALL....."SINCERITY"......I DIDNT EXPRESS ANGER OR RESENTMENT TOWARDS YOU.....AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED , YOUR REPLY WAS A CLASSIC CASE OF OVER-REACTING.....

AND TO THE GUY WHO IS TAKING UP FOR THAT WOMAN......YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY FOCUSED ON THE WRONG THING....AND YOU ARE WAY TOO QUICK TO JUDGE.....I SUGGEST YOU ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU EVER OFFER ANY KIND OF RULES OF BEHAVIOR TO ANYONE.....ESPECIALLY WHEN IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU....

NONE OF YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME BEING A TROUBLE-MAKER HERE......IT'S VERY CLEAR TO ME THAT IGNORANCE IS ALIVE AND WELL HERE.....AND I DONT PRACTICE IGNORANCE.....

Collapse -

Check THIS out

by WTRTHS In reply to CHECK THIS OUT......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

or to quote:

"Internet

This form of typography also appears in on-line forums. It was once an inevitable byproduct of using machines with limited support for lowercase text (such as certain dumb terminals, early Apple II models), but as full support of ASCII became standard, it became solely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behaviour. As a result, netiquette generally discourages the use of all caps."

Collapse -

You Sir, are an example of odure, a clinging, self-defecating unit..

by OldER Mycroft In reply to I didn't change my story. ...

You come on here with some half-arsed complaint which you then edit to suit your sh|tty purpose - (AND IT WAS 2 HOURS LATER!) - then you engage in some form of pathetic "Oh!, I've been hard done by" piece of fiction.

Well, I'll tell you pal - if you're ever in Scotland just let me know the time and the place. I'll gie ye a Glasgow Kiss !!

Back to Hardware Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums