Question

• Creator
    Topic

I have Internet connection for all nodes but can’t ping all nodes. Help!

by john.jentzema ·

After having to re-install my gateway and security server, I discovered that some of my nodes couldn’t be pinged. I still have full Internet access for all computers but the security server can’t connect to the gateway computer and so can’t update it with new virus signatures etc.

The gateway is currently running XP Pro SP3. It was running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. It doesn’t matter which OS I use there, no connectivity to the security server. The gateway is multi-honed(two NICS installed). The internal NIC IP address is 192.168.0.1. The external NIC has a dynamic configuration. Obviously, I am using ICS on the external NIC. All internal addresses are in the range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.41

Previously, I was running 2003 on the gateway running DNS and the security software on the one box. Now, the security software is on a separte 2003 box and there is no DNS server on the network.

As I have a total of nine nodes on the network, including two printers, it is only a peer-to-peer network.

Can any one offer some suggestions? I’d like to get this sorted since my security option is very good but a little pricey so I’d like to be able to use it to its maximum potential again.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by john.jentzema ·

In reply to I have Internet connection for all nodes but can’t ping all nodes. Help!

Clarifications

XP limitations

by joz9999 ·

In reply to I have Internet connection for all nodes but can’t ping all nodes. Help!

Windows XP allows only a maximum of 10 concurrent connections. This may be why you can’t communicate to all nodes.

Two other points.

by seanferd ·

Ping and other ICMP packets may be ignored for security reasons. How is the “gateway” (not sure of usage here) configured?

How are you trying to ping? By IP or name? If by name, how are names expected to be resolved in the network with no DNS server? Everything named the same after the reinstall, or otherwise re-registered with the network? (Are the PRNP services and IPv6 up and running? Is the cache rebuilt?)

Some clarifications

by john.jentzema ·

Ping and other ICMP packets may be ignored for security reasons. How is the “gateway” (not sure of usage here) configured?

How are you trying to ping? By IP or name?

I always ping by IP address.

Everything named the same after the reinstall, or otherwise re-registered with the network?

Two new computers were added to the network to replace services that had either been on other computers before the melt down or to move those services off a single box. Previously, I had a domain controller(not running), a DNS server and my security server all running on the gateway, far from ideal I know and that is why Ive re-allocated hardware.

Are the PRNP services and IPv6 up and running?

I am using IPv4. I don’t even know what PRNP is and I don’t know how to set it up as a result.

Is the cache rebuilt?

I wasn’t aware that the cache required rebuilding. On top of that, what cache and where can I find it to rebuild it, if you know what I mean.

I’m very much out of my depth here I’m afraid. So many problems and I’m not sure where to start I guess.

Viewing 3 reply threads