General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

I Need Help to learn linux

by mostafa_ismayel ·

hi all
    how is every body
    i’m asking for help to learn linux
    i’ve used MS Windows for more than 7 years and now i’m finding difficulties to learn linux
    I need any one to lead me to the right way to do it
    thank you all

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: I Need Help to learn linux

by tr_waddell ·

In reply to I Need Help to learn linux

Well… I know of one good site that has quite a few tutorials on working with linux:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/

really if you think about it though how did you learn windows? You need to just use it for a while and explore (mess around) with some of the features it has. I’ve been using redhat for around 3 years now, and while i did read quite a few articles about features and how-to’s mostly it was experimenting that did it for me.

-Aqrhine-

User Guide to Using the Linux Desktop

by hemanta_naik ·

Please visit :

http://www.apdip.net/

This user guide is meant as an introductory guide for a user
      to use a modern personal computer (PC) running the Linux
      operating system. The main aim is to provide a self-learning
      guide on how to use a modern Linux desktop system. It
      assumes that the user has no prior knowledge of Linux or PC
      usage.
      After going through the guide the reader should be in a
      position to start using a Linux desktop for both personal and
      office use. In particular she should be able to:
      ? access the Internet and use the WWW and Internet email
      ? manipulate and manage files, folders and the file system
      ? produce and print simple documents and presentation
      material

hemanta_naik@yahoo.com
      india.

get down to the core

by house ·

As much as I don’t like the author, O’Reilley’s Learning Red Hat Linux is a good way to start.

Personally, I am getting down to the core before I try to decipher the GUI. When Windows came about, I had already been working with dos for years. A key understanding of the core folder structure will go a long way in regards to learning the OS. I’ve heard many people give reference to “Linux in a Nutshell” by the O’Reilley publishers. I have not been through it myself, but it appears to be the place to start.

Find a LUG in your area

by jdclyde ·

LUG, Linux Users Groups are all over the place. Ususally have monthly meetings.
      http://www.linux.org/groups/

People here are usually more than happy to help save someone from the evil clutches of M$. (lol)

also, google is a BIG help.

http://www.google.com/linux

Are you looking for a graphical desktop, to learn the command line, or a little of both? Decide what you want to do with the system before you get started. If you don’t have a goal, you will do the install (easy) and then it will be “what now?”

Best of luck!

seconded

by apotheon ·

In reply to Find a LUG in your area

I enthusiastically concur: join a LUG. That’s the biggest single help you’ll likely have in learning Linux. Get on a LUG mailing list, and ask questions. Don’t take it personally when someone tells you to RTFM. Start, most of the time, with a question like “What should I read to learn about this?” rather than “How do I do this, step by step?” You’ll get along better with LUG members if you show you’re willing to research and try solutions on your own. If you seem to really want to learn, rather than just having answers handed to you, you’ll get a lot of help when you really need it.

Good luck.

best way:

by jaqui ·

1) rip windows off the computer, put linux on, default to runlevel 5 ( gui mode )
      start doing what you did with windows.
      then the underlying differences are out of the way.
      as you learn more you can start exploring the underlying differences.
      2) use the man pages.
      command prompt: man [ name of command ] | less
      *this will page the output through the less file reader *
      3) read the how-tos, as needed only.
      if you try to much the techno babble in them will confuse you.

My advice….

by choppit ·

1)Pick and download a distribution to learn with (www.linuxiso.org). I’m not in a position to recommend any, but I chose RedHat 9.

2) Buy yourself a book suitable for your level of confidence. I’d recommend the SAMs Teach Yourself in 24 hours range if you’re not confident or one of the Wiley Linux Bibles if you want more depth.

3) Install distro

4) Play, get comfortable with GUI. Try to use it as you would Windows.

5) Decide what else you’d like to do with your new Linux box.

6) Read the book, search the web as needed.

learn IRC

by secure_lockdown9 ·

and get something called CBT Linux+ Nuggets. (not that I condone illegality)

try to work in the console/command line environment as much as possible.

the neat thing about Linux is once you learn one distro – you will pretty much know them all. you will also be able to find your way around any unix variant. i recently had to look at a solaris box and i never worked on solaris – but i was able to find my way around thanks to my linux knowledge.

don’t forget about the free online books

by secure_lockdown9 ·

http://www.linux.org/docs/online_books.html

in particular,
      Linux Installation and Getting Started by Matt Welsh

cheers,
      SL

Still learning Linux myself

by aceskaraoke ·

In reply to don’t forget about the free online books

Great to see all the resources available.

Reading through my Linux bible is slowww going.

I need to be more unafraid to ask questions myself when I don’t know something, ’cause there’s a lot of savvy members in TechRepublic (but very few are psychic).

by jaqui ·

In reply to Still learning Linux myself

some may be psycotic.
          😉

personally, I don’t use windows, or any mocrosoft produced software.

only *x based.

Isn’t it hard to avoid MS altogether though?

by aceskaraoke ·

In reply to Reply To: I Need Help to learn linux

MS has such market penetration that it seems to have Windows everywhere.

I’ve been using some form of Windows since 3.11 (which I was really glad was my first as it wasn’t as far removed from DOS and the command line as its successors). I’m going to ITT right now so even if I was inclined to stop using MS, it wouldn’t be an option.

I’ve been picking up a little here and there about Linux, but it’s slow going becuase I’m going to school and working right now. I want to become more proficient with Linux because I believe we are really going to see a surge in Linux marketshare in the next year or two and I want to develop skills to be more prepared for landing a job in this fast-changing and competetive market.

by jaqui ·

In reply to Isn’t it hard to avoid MS altogether though?

nope,
          since my computer work is for my own business I can avoid windows easily.
          when someone sends an attached file in a m$ file formet I send it back.sorry can’t open this proprietary corrupted file format, send in plain text ot TeX Text formatting.
          ( which is a bit of bs as there are 5 tools that will open ms orifice documents, just why send files in a proprietary file format, use a format that is open source )

Learn Linux

by kamal_lochan2004 ·

Hi Mostafa,

I will help you to learn Linux. Before that you have to purchase a book, One Machine to install Linux and I will guide you through mail.
      -Kamal

your help positively

by uppulurivasu ·

Dear friend,
      if you need much of interface in windows i prefer you to go for Novell Linux 9.0 whose evaluation version is available for free download in novell.com, it carries much of windows interface. the only problem in linux is the drivers support if your system is a branded system then there shall be no problem.
      Ok bye and take care……
      Be in CONTACT……
      VASU

Introduction to Linux – A Hands on Guide

by famosamos ·

Try this site. It has an extensive hands-on guide to learning Linux: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/
      intro-linux/intro-linux.pdf

great linux resource

by colleen.happ ·

There is a linux certification course at http://www.linuxselfstudy.com that I would highly recommend. It is thousands less than the competititors, recognized by LPI. I’m not the only one giving it great reviews…check out the site!

sooo may articles!

by davedxb ·

Whats the point…you can spend the next few years reading millions of books and articles just to end up confused like me.

I suggest for now..as a beginging…you choose one flavour of linux.

You just best practices with that flavour.

For example, there are so many ways to install apache and webservers…ull just loose ur mind…

Always stick to the best preferred way / practise in doing something and stick with it until u become more familiar with things in time…

Viewing 12 reply threads