General discussion

IE 5.01 Self-launches after 95 to 98SE u

By lutomsa ·
Stand-alone PC, using dialup access to an ISP, IE 5.01 as browser. No network cards configured or installed. Recently upgraded to 98SE from 95. Problem only after upgrade.

After connecting and disconnecting from the ISP once, IE will automatically launch itself after approx. 5-10min., displaying the connection window. If the new connection window is closed, IE will immediatly display another connection window. Close it the second time and the cycle continues again. This happens even when PC is idle, with no user activity or open applications. If a second, third, etc. manual connection to the ISP is attempted, IE seems to be working fine.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by MelodyJ In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...

Sounds like you have Active Desktop turned on or some other feature turned on that pulls information from the Internet. This would cause IE to try to connect. You can turn off Active Desktop in the Control Panel under display.

Regards,
Melody

Collapse -

by lutomsa In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...
Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...

Check the internet options in tools drop down list and check to see if you have any automatic settings setup.
Secondly I would think that IE files were ver written during the upgrade and you may fix this by going to control panel,click on Add/Remove programs and click on IE,then click on the remove button and select the option to repair or restore to previous version.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dft3 In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...

There has never been a smooth upgrade path from Windows 95 to 98.

I would suggest you make sure your virus definitions are up to date and scan your computer. If nothing is found, then I suggest you uninstall and reinstall IE 5.

After doing this, you should immediately run the Windows update and download all critical patches updates. This should take care of it as well as give you all the up to date necessary system files.

Good Luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dft3 In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...

Simply running the repair feature of IE 5 in from the Add/Remove programs dialog box of the Control Panel won't be good enough since the upgrade path that you chose is so buggy. I seriously recommend a clean installation and update of the software the way I previously suggested.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by howard_pincham In reply to IE 5.01 Self-launches aft ...

I agree with the first answer. I would try to avoid reloading IE at all costs. Try to shoot the problem this way:

1) Check IE to see if it has a schedule to syncronize offline pages. Go to Tools -> Syncronize and uncheck any items scheduled for syncronization.

2) Check Outlook Express to see if it has scheduled mail retrieval option set. Start Outlook Express, select Tools -> Options and the Read tab. Uncheck the "Check for messages every xxx minutes" option.

If this doesn't correct the problem, let the machine make the connection to your ISP and wait to see which application starts, or which web page opens in the browser. (You can do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get a task list)

Collapse -

I completely overlooked 'Outlook'. The user had the mail retrieval option set for 5 minutes. Thanks.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Operating Systems Forums