General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Installing Clean Version Of Windows 2000

by jmoore ·

Is it possible to format my HD to get rid of Win 98 2nd Edition and perform a clean Windows 2000 install using the upgrade cd?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by csheltcomp ·

In reply to Installing Clean Version Of Windows 2000

If I am not mistaken, during the install(upgrade), it will give you the option of a clean install/

by 1ronman ·

Yes! do a system level format with a 98 boot disk (make sure that your boot disk loads the drivers for your cd-rom drive first though-just in case…). You cant just load windows 2000 from a dos prompt however as when you try to run the setup.exe, it says that you cant run that in dos mode. Go into your bios and set the boot sequence to boot from from your cd-rom drive (this option may not be available in an older pc) and let windows do its stuff.

by saihib ·

The WIN2K CD is bootable. Just reformat your HDD and boot from the CD if your MOB allows you to.

by ratherbfishing ·

I have not tried this with an upgrade CD..but..here is another method that works:
      Use the installation floppies, this will allow you to delete and recreate the system partition during setup. (you cannot do this if you boot from the CDROM because ituses diskspace on the system partition). If you need to create installation floppies, first open a command window, go to the i386 directory on the cd, and type winnt /o/x.

by dmiles ·

The clean install will have to detect a previous version of NT files on the system and will upgrade from there,it has been my expierence that the software manufature are now coding upgrades during programming to look for a previous version,so why not load WINNT4,then do a clean install as a upgrade option.

by taz3030 ·

You should be able to explore the cd and find the cab files dir
      then you can format the drive and copy the cab files to a dir
      then go to that dir and type setup and if ask for version verification and you can win98se
      path it to win98 dir

by olopez ·

Be aware that you will need a different cd key for the clean install you can not use the same one used for an upgrade.

by rmmcp ·

Be aware that Windows 2000 is not a direct upgrade for Windows 98/98SE. It is an upgrade for NT Server/Workstation.
      Windows ME will be out later this year. That is the upgrade for Win 98/98SE.

by alacrity ·

Just did this last night, Boot from the CD and the install will start. Part way into the routine it will ask you for your old OS CD. Replace the 2000 upgrade CD in the drive. after it gets a good look a the disk it will ask for the 2000 CD again.The rest of the install went without asking for the old CD again.

Neal

by bshapess ·

I am pretty sure you just need to have a setup.exe file in a windows directory from win98.

by jmoore ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 10 reply threads