General discussion

Installing Office2000 on WinXP

By rawright ·
A friend is trying to install Office2000 on a new installation of WindowsXP Home and is losing his mind. The install works up to the Configuring Office2000 step, then it halts with Internal Error 2755. In the MsiExec.txt file is:

DEBUG: Error 2755: Server returned unexpected error 995 attempting to install package E:\data1.msi.
Internal Error 2755: Please contact product support for assistance.

I have been unable to locate any information on this error elsewhere and don't have any ideawhat to do with the info. He has Admin priveleges on the machine, and the copy of Office is known to be good. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

Has he installed the critical and compatibility updates for XP from Microsoft?

If the version of XP includes service pack 1, the most important updates are already there.

Next, are as many programs as possible shut down.
He may need to disable XPs firewall to get some programs to install.

Chas

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

He installed all of the available patches, on top of the SP1 distro that he has on CD. He has no clue that a firewall is part of the package, and I'm hoping to keep him ignorant of the existence of that kludge to make my job easier.

Collapse -

by topgun59 In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

I was informed by Microsoft and shopnbc technicians when I purchased my new CPU that Office 2000 could not be installed and that you will have to purchase a copy of Office XP. I have Office 2000 on my XP system and tried to set it up and this was anightmare. If anyone finds the answer, please keep me informed.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

I guess I have been lucky, I have successfully installed Office 2000SR1 on several XP Pro computers.
the following may help,
Excerpt from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 217714
"This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
You install Office 2000 on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP Professional.

-and-
Windows is installed on an NTFS partition

-and-
The Installer folder does not have correct access permissions.
NOTE: You can also experience these symptoms if you have only Read permissions to the WinNT folder. This condition prevents the Installer folder from being created by Office Setup.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, change the permissions on the Installer folder. The permissions on theInstaller folder should be Everyone - Read Administrators - Full System - Full."

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

I guess I have been lucky, I have successfully installed Office 2000SR1 on several XP Pro computers.
the following may help,
Excerpt from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 217714
"This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
You install Office 2000 on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP Professional.

-and-
Windows is installed on an NTFS partition

-and-
The Installer folder does not have correct access permissions.
NOTE: You can also experience these symptoms if you have only Read permissions to the WinNT folder. This condition prevents the Installer folder from being created by Office Setup.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, change the permissions on the Installer folder. The permissions on theInstaller folder should be Everyone - Read Administrators - Full System - Full."

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by glyall In reply to Installing Office2000 on ...

I have been lucky, too.
I have adminstrator rights to to my PC at work
which has WinXP Pro SP1 and MS Office 2000 SP1 with SP2 update. I set the PC in the first place , I am the tech.
I also have OpenOffice 1.03
(free download from WWW.OpenOffice.org).
I use OpenOffice a lot more the I use MS Office.
When the users that I support can not open a MS Office file, they send it to me.
I open it with OpenOffice and save it back as a MS Office file ( Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
They a use the file again.
Try OpenOffice for a while you might get hooked!!
It is free and you can save your company a lot of money. OpenOffice can read and save MS Office 98, 2000 and XP files.
The only down side is that it does not have database like MSOffice Access.

good luck

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next