General discussion

INSTALLING WIN2000 WITH WINXP ON PC

By bel_avi ·
after instaling win2000 on a different partition then the main c on a pc that already has a winxp installed ,winxp wouldn't boot up due to a system file error, thus I had to repair xp system. now win2000 wont start.
is it possible to install bothos on the same pc and how ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by philk In reply to INSTALLING WIN2000 WITH ...

I recently installed both Windows XP and 2000 on a laptop for the company I work for. When I looked into this, I noticed that alot of sites mentioned that the 'older' version of the software had to be installed before the current version. This worked fine. On a 20Gb hard disk, I created a 8Gb W2K partition and a 12Gb XP. Install W2K first so it creates the boot partition, but do not allow W2K to change the partition to NTFS (so keep it on FAT32). After the install and all is fine, then install XP, but use the Free Space area that isn't being used. If you want to make the machine secure, create a 150Mb FAT32 partition for the boot drive. Then install W2K and XP as NTFS

Collapse -

by JackOfAllTech In reply to INSTALLING WIN2000 WITH ...

There is an easier way! Download the free XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader) from www.xosl.org. Create a small (10MB) partition for it. Install W2k and WXP in separate partitions as normal. Install and configure XOSL and freely boot betweenthe two.

Ralph

Collapse -

by SuperUser In reply to INSTALLING WIN2000 WITH ...

Depending on your needs and hardware you might try what I do. I had XP Pro installed and all my Apps and files were accumulated to the point I didn't want to chance losing something by re-installing. I removed my primary master drive and installed Win2000 on my slave drive. Now I can boot Xp normally with both drives attached or remove the IDE cable from the master and boot Win2000. This has worked well for me and I have even used a 3rd hard drive to setup Windows 2000 Server for practice purposes. You can have a hard drive with any OS you want and just by doing a little cable switching, boot it and run without losing any data. I hope this helps in some small way. Good luck.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)