General discussion

Intel 845e chipset and GeForce 2 GTS?

By bowieb ·
I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-8IE motherboard, which is based on the Intel 845e chipset. According to the manual, it only supports AGP 4x 1.5V video cards. 3.3V cards will damage the motherboard. Unfortunately, I can't find any easy way to determine what voltage my current video card is running.

Can anybody tell me if the GeForce 2 GTS cards run at 1.5V or 3.3V? They claim to be AGP 2.0 4x cards, but I know there are some 4x cards running at 3.3V.

Does anyone have a GeForce 2 GTS card running in an 845e motherboard?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bowieb In reply to Intel 845e chipset and Ge ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by GuruOfDos In reply to Intel 845e chipset and Ge ...

You have a 3.3v Card and it WILL fry your motherboard!! No GeForce cards work with this mobo!!

Goto www.gigabyte.com and look at the compatibility list for cards that have been tested with the 8IE motherboard.

Collapse -

I know that the GeForce3 and GeForce4 cards will work, because I've seen them used in reviews of boards based on the i845 and i850 chipsets. Sharky Extreme in their review said that they had personally tested "everything from a GeForce256 DDR up to the top-of-the-line GeForce3 Ti 500, with the Radeon 7500 and 8500" and all of them worked fine.

My problem is that I am a bit paranoid at this point and I am trying to find a specific mention of my board somewhere.

Collapse -

I found a list of tested video cards on Abit's website for their i845 motherboard. My exact card was listed, so it must be 1.5v.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)