Discussions

Discussion on:

internet connectivity issue

Message 3 of 3

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Deadly Ernest

an 'Uplink' port. This is used when you connect it to another router, switch, or modems - it's usually marked as such or is a different colour to the rest of the ports. Normal Ethernet ports are set for straight through cables while the Uplink port is set for a crossover cable - some will auto check and software adjust, some won't. I've a switch that hangs off my four port adsl modem router, I have that feed into a switch. When my son added his four port wireless router to the network he had to connect his router to my router via the Uplink port on his to make it work properly. That particular Netgear router he got looks for the Internet connection on the uplink port only.

Check the paperwork on the router to see if it has an identified uplink port, if it does, try using that port to connect between the modem and the router and then plug your PCs into the other ports. Also make sure you have the router settings set right to allow traffic and have your PCs pointing to the correct device as the gateway - in some cases this requires pointing to the modem, in others you point to the router and have it point to the modem; set up depends on how the devices are meant to be set up. With my router I point the PCs to the router, while my son has his wireless router pointed to my router and his laptop pointed at his wireless router.