General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

iPhone, what it could have been

by boitsfort ·

The iPhone, as announced Tuesday by Apple, is certainly a nice device, but not quite what I expected and could have been a strike on the phone market.

The iPhone I dream of is not any bigger than the Nano, has the same size display as the Nano, has no keyboard, has only the click wheel, synchronizes with address book on the Mac or any “standard” on Windows (like Outlook de facto, plus open standards address books) and costs less than 200$.

In order to dial a number not stored in your contacts list, the click wheel would act just like the good old phones of the 50’s, you know with a rotating wheel generating pulses. SMS would be a little more difficult to write, but could be managed with the click wheel only.

That phone, I’m sure, would be a hit and could steal more (much more) than 1% market share!

Should I trademark this idea? 😉

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Doubt it

by now left tr ·

In reply to iPhone, what it could have been

Creating a text with a wheel interface – get real. It would take to long…

I’m talking of a phone

by boitsfort ·

In reply to Doubt it

P.H.O.N.E for users like me who use it to pass phone calls (95%) and a few SMS (5%). With a proper T9 dictionary, it should be easy to write text like this.
        I agree though that for SMS freaks that wouldn’t do the trick.

Click wheel on a phone?!

by iw4 ·

By the stars, the Nokia 3650 was bad enough!

Besides, it’s already been done…of course, by Nokia. Twice. They’re called the 7280 and 7380. I certainly don’t expect any of my tech friends to be clamoring for either of them.

No matter what..People Flock

by sgsuneel ·

Hi,No matter whether the supposed iPhone doesnt meet the conventional needs, it will be a mojor hit even over the impending releases of most of the major cell phone companies. Looking forward to possess it, anyway 😉

Cost a fortune

by boitsfort ·

In reply to No matter what..People Flock

For sure a sexy device, but priced at the same range as (if not higher than) a Mac Mini!

Tere are more expensive phones – You must be CHEAP!

by thephoton ·

In reply to Cost a fortune

Try a Nokia N93 Phone for $699.00 on Nokia’s website with or without a plan.

All new technology is expensive, until it gets out into the market, and phones with plans are usually cheaper………

If you can’t afford it, stop complaining.

just because it’s not the most expensive…

by frylock ·

In reply to Tere are more expensive phones – You must be CHEAP!

doesn’t mean it’s not expensive. I think tagging the poster as “complaining” is unfair, he was just offering an opinion. And I agree with him, I didn’t see anything in the announcement that justifies the price. But that’s just my opinion, of course.

Keep cool

by boitsfort ·

In reply to Tere are more expensive phones – You must be CHEAP!

Hey man don’t be aggressive. The price is just a number. And numbers are not big or small, unless one compares them.
          In this case, the iPhone price tag compares to a Mac Mini. Thats my point.
          Now whether I can or cannot afford it does not matter. If I had a million to spend, I would spend it in something that is worth a million. It’s a matter of being smart.

Good Luck With It

by techrepublic ·

The iPhone is too fragile. The front screen is made of what looks like glass. Perhaps plexiglass, which can also scratch and fade. But everyone drops phones. If this one can’t take a beating, like a standard pda, they’re be returning them to the stores, in less than perfect condition. Also, there’s the issue of warrantee. After $400 bucks, I don’t think anyone will want to pay for a warrantee, and that brings us back to break-ability. If the software crashes… and it always does, it has to be returned for service. The same as any other Mac. Very inconvenient.

I disagree.

by ryan.rockey ·

Sorry but I gotta say, I find Apple’s phone far more attractive then your idea of an iPhone. If they had gone with a click wheel or any other physical input interface, the iPhone would be restricted to that interface and everything else would have to be designed around it. With the soft interface that they have realized, developers can design an interface that makes sense for their application. An interface that is minimal and dynamic. A dynamic interface, plus the fact that it runs OSX makes this one sweet platform for developers. We’re gonna see a lot of slick apps for this appliance and I believe, when we see this thing in all of it’s glory, we’ll be happy to hand our charge card to man with the black apple shirt who will probably take our order on his iPhone.

Remember the original iPod!

by rdondelinger ·

In reply to I disagree.

Like the original iPod, this iPhone is an over-priced and closed system… with just the right mix of disruptive technology and design. Current market will target the rich, the geeks, and Mac Heads.

In time, next-generation products will be tweaked to overcome the more apparent flaws (ie locked into Cingular EDGE network), prices will come down, and Apple will have yet another runaway hit on its hands.

See you in five years. 😀

20 problems with iPhone

by dr dij ·

instead of effusing with hype, computerworld had an interesting review of possible problems with iphone:
      from computerworld.com click on top5 or:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9007826&intsrc=cust_topread

here’s 3 of the points:
      no peer to peer connections so can’t share tunes, etc. like Zune
      uses older wifi technology, not the fastest
      cingular, the only provider is not available in all cities

No No No

by sgardner ·

Thank God you’re not on the iPhone development team.

Too late

by itsteve13 ·

I’m sure it’s already been created. Apple thinks of everything and chances are if someone else comes up with an idea, it has already been created, waiting for release.

It’s a three-year-old post.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Too late

It may be too late now, but it was timely in 2007.

Viewing 7 reply threads