General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Is Cyber Monday a reality?

by viruser ·

I was doing some reading on “Black Friday” – the biggest shopping day in the USA and I came across “Cyber Monday”!! Apparently one can get the best online sales in the year!!! It’s on the first Monday after Thanksgiving. Is this a reality and if so which are the best online stores to shop from?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Cyber Monday

by slowspeak ·

In reply to Is Cyber Monday a reality?

It’s a media myth, sales comes when the regular high prices don’t sell, or as a loss leader to get bodies in the store.

Shopping myths

by johnnylately01 ·

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are not the biggest shopping days in USA. snopes.com says that the Saturday before Christmas is the biggest day.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp

But Johnny….

by dumbneasy ·

In reply to Shopping myths

Did snopes say that the last Saturday before Christmas was the biggest day because of people procrastination or because prices came down below Black Friday prices?

AND….when was that snopes posted? Could it because that since then Black Friday has truly become the biggest day before Christmas for shoppers?

Huh? Huh? Huh?

We gotta know these things… LOL!

Last Monday

by darinhamer ·

In reply to But Johnny….

According to the site, it was updated on Nov. 20, 2006. I have heard this information in other places as well.

shopping myths

by scanjo ·

What I have heard is that Black Friday is the day with the most shoppers, but the Saturday before Christmas has the most sales (as in “dollars”).

I’ve never heard a thing about Cyber Monday…

White Monday

by barks25 ·

In reply to shopping myths

I have been shopping the net this day for about five years. Unless your into crowds and endless lines. Seems like this day gets online sellers to post more deals. Kinda like http://www.techbargains.com though.

The Real Big Day

by crankyoldbugger ·

In reply to White Monday

I’m sure all of the guys in here know that all of us men have our regularly scheduled annual meeting on December 24th, 5:00 p.m., in the food court at the mall. Hope to see you all there!

See You There

by whollyfool ·

In reply to The Real Big Day

Where do I get my fake beard ala Life of Brian? 🙂 Finals run right up to the 24th and work gets cranky if I take time off to Christmas shop. 🙂

See you there. 🙂 (Who said “Jehovah”?) 🙂

Now Listen…

by crankyoldbugger ·

In reply to See You There

No one is to stone anyone, and I want to make this perfectly clear, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle…

I agree

by tonythetiger ·

In reply to shopping myths

because if you’re in the store that close to Christmas, it’s because you [b]have[/b] to have something, and it doesn’t have to be ‘on sale’.

Black Friday means that stores get [i]out of the Red[/i] for the year.

by deepsand ·

While it’s obviously an imperfect generalization, prior to Black Friday the retail sector has a cumulative negative revenue gain from sales for the calendar year-to-date.

[b]Any[/b] day, regardless of the size of that day’s sales, which moves them from the Red into the Black is said to be a Black day. Such typically occurs on the day after Thanksgiving, which in the U.S. is now fixed as being observed on a Thursday; hence, the term Black Friday.

Accordint to this article, Cyber monday will be December 18th

by danlm ·

[url]http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/11/cybermonday_tha.html#posts[/url]

[i]On the other hand, Cyber Monday ? the Monday after Thanksgiving said to be the busiest online shopping day of the year — is a myth. Procrastinators rule the day when it comes to online shopping, and the day when most of them click-shop for presents actually falls in the middle of December, just about the last day they can expect their gifts to arrive in time for Christmas.[/i]

[i]CyberSource Corp., based in Mountain View, Calif., helps processes electronic credit card payments for many major online retailers, including CompUSA, JC Penney and Blue Nile. The company says that one of every eight dollars spent online flows through its payment system, so it has a pretty good sense of e-shopping volume. And according to Cybersource, the busiest shopping day on the Web has occurred on a Monday in the middle of December for six straight years.
      “This rule of thumb has held up for six years,” he said. “It’s always the Monday closest to Christmas with (at least) seven days left for shipping,” said Doug Schwegman, director of market and customer intelligence for CyberSource.

This year, Cybersource predicts Dec. 18 will be the magic day. That might not be good news for e-tailers, who will be jamming up UPS and FedEx trucks right up to the last minute.[/i]

Chuckle, for what its worth.

Dan

Cyber Monday Myth

by binarypc ·

In reply to Accordint to this article, Cyber monday will be December 18th

Yeah, I think some sales & marketing department dreamed this whole Cyber Monday after Black Friday myth up. I know where I work, the Monday after a holiday everyone is usually too slammed to be trying to figure out if they should be online buying “stuff”.

The other possibilities mentioned by posters here are much more realistic.

Thanks for the info!!

by viruser ·

In reply to Accordint to this article, Cyber monday will be December 18th

I wanna thank you guys for the advice. I was trying to get a high digital camera and I had anticipated…”Cyber-Monday” would be the day!! Looks like I will have to look out for Dec 18th or sometime close to X-mas. Thanks again!!

The way I read that article(which could be wrong)

by danlm ·

In reply to Thanks for the info!!

Is that the 18th will be the busiest online day. I think what you are looking for is deals like was offered on black Friday, and I did not read that as this was the case with Cyber Monday. Just that Cyber Monday was a busy online shopping day only.

probably wrong, and missed it.

Dan

Depends on your definition.

by deepsand ·

If you are defining it in terms of either a day to get the best online shopping bargains, or the busiest online shopping day, then the Monday following Thanksgiving would not be Cyber Monday. However, the origin of the term does not relate to either of these.

As originally used, the phrase referred by the tendency of online shoppers to rely more heavily on the use of computers at work than those at home for such purposes. As most are not at work on the weekend, and many businesses close on Thankgiving Friday, the earliest opportunity for most to shop online at work on or after Black Friday is the following Monday; hence the term “Cyber Monday.”

Its real but getting less so each year.

by minstrel mike ·

Black Friday, as stated earlier, has the most shoppers but isn’t the day when the most money changes hands. Cyber Monday is the Monday after Thanksgiving when all those window shoppers return to work after touching physical items and getting a good idea of what they really want. Then they use the high speed work connection to purchase stuff on-line. “Cyber-Monday” is becoming less and less of a phenomenon as more and more folks get high speed at home or use wi-fi at the local coffee shop.

Viewing 4 reply threads