Question

Is there a simple way to migrate Windows 2003 to a new machine?

By smitnich ·
Good Morning Everyone!
I am new here, and to be honest I am trying to help out my father in law here. He has a Windows Server 2003, and it is on a very old machine.
He has purchased a more powerful machine to put windows on.
This is where I am running into issues, I can use it just fine to put new users into his system, however I am not the one who configured the previous server, nor do I know how to completely.
So I am wondering if there is an easy way to transfer his settings (Like the DHCP, Users and their Passwords, Machine setup, ect) to another Windows Server, and make this as painless of a transition as possible.
If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I would love to hear them, and if you have any other questions please let me know, I will try and clarify as much as I can!

Thank you in advance,
Smitnich

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Virtualization

by hrisan In reply to Is there a simple way to ...

Hi,
There are several ways but I prefer to virtualize it and then you can move it as many times as you want. Currently VMWare ESXi 4.1 is free and there are free tools to convert it. You just need to setup the new network card after that.
Here is a link:
http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2010/07/introducing-vmware-sphere-hypervisor-41-the-free-edition-of-vmware-vsphere-41.html

Also you can have virtual machine under Windows OS but that is slower.
There are other virtualization platforms from Microsoft and Citrix but I think at the moment the ESXi is the best.

Good luck.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums