Question

Is there any such thing as a 5.25 external USB floppy drive?

By Locrian_Lyric ·
I have a customer who's equipment got destroyed during Hurricane Sandy. All of his software was on 5.25 floppy disks, is there any equipment I can hook up to a 5.25 to make it work with a new (windows computer? I know that once I can get the software setup, I can run DOSbox to run the software, but how do I get around the hardware issue?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 3 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Reading 5.25-inch floppies

by n2add In reply to Is there any such thing a ...

1. I purchased a 5.25-inch floppy on eBay and installed it in an old computer and proceeded to copy my 5.25-inch disks. About 20% of the disks could not be read properly. I also did the same thing with my 3.5-inch disks. Everything I could copy is now on a CD.

2. I tried one of those dual drives but I could never get it to work properly. I tried various combinations of the jumpers but no luck.

3. Some computers that do have a floppy connector on the motherboard will only recognize 3.5-inch drives.

Collapse -

OLD 5' FLOPPY

by powerserver13 In reply to Is there any such thing a ...

I HAVE ONE TOO, YOU CAN HAVE, CAME OUT OF AN OLD "SYMPHONY" COMPUTER 80836/?? THE WHOLE COMPUTER WORKS GREAT, JUST NEED ANOTHER COM1 PLUG FOR A KEYBOARD.????

Collapse -

5 1/2 floppy drive

by inkwell In reply to Is there any such thing a ...

I have an old Tandy 5 1/4 parallel port drive.
I took the drive out of the case, and cabled it to my Athlon 2400 XP-S3 box.
I backed up 40 5 1/4 floppy disks to one folder and fit them all with room to spare on a 4 gb usb drive. If you haven't had any resolution and want to send them to me in Canada, I'll do it for you, I just get a kick over how old tech seems to come to the rescue. I'd need the return postage & that's all.

Back to Hardware Forum
24 total posts (Page 3 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03

Hardware Forums