Discussions

Is there weirdness with XP on Dell PowerEdge 400sc

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Is there weirdness with XP on Dell PowerEdge 400sc

tmathew_6822
I find the same problem with freezing, I dont think it is going to sleep. It just freezes when that happens the monitor goes black, the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. I can hear the fan in the unit, but have to power off and on to get it back. Doesnt happen all the time, some time it runs for hours other times it happens within a few minutes apart. I am running windows XP prof., another it happens minutes apart. (it happened now while I was still typing this, thankfully FF saved what I typed!). Another issue is it is not taking the xp key that I have on the machine. I called MS and they confirmed the key, yet the machine is not accepting it. I even tried to activate online but still it wont go through

Does any one have a solution for the freezing issue and xp key issue. Appreciate any help

Thanks
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .

It could be some Installed Software causing the problem. Also if it's not accepting the Key on the COA that is because you are not using the Dell Recovery Media and are using the wrong version of XP.

XP Pro comes in several versions all of which have different groups of Product keys.

You have the OEM Version the Volume License Version and the Retail Version. You need to use the Correct Version of XP for the Product Key you have though I must admit if you can get the OS installed you may not get it Activated over the Internet Option and may be required to Phone Microsoft for A Manual Activation.

Col

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .

It could be some Installed Software causing the problem. Also if it's not accepting the Key on the COA that is because you are not using the Dell Recovery Media and are using the wrong version of XP.

XP Pro comes in several versions all of which have different groups of Product keys.

You have the OEM Version the Volume License Version and the Retail Version. You need to use the Correct Version of XP for the Product Key you have though I must admit if you can get the OS installed you may not get it Activated over the Internet Option and may be required to Phone Microsoft for A Manual Activation.

Col