General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Is today the start of the Big Dance or the Big Pain in the backside?

by theprofessordan ·

As some of you sports fan are all too aware of, today starts the NCAA Division I Men’s BAsketball tournament, known by many as the Big Dance or March Madness. But I am curious to get everyone’s perspective on how the tournament affects everyone from outside of the sports world. I have worked at a few places in my career and I find it interesting how companies handle this. I worked at one place that sent out a company wide email informing us all that we are not to click on any streaming video today for concern of slowing down the network. I have worked at some places that absolutely forbid any pools.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

No impact here

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Is today the start of the Big Dance or the Big Pain in the backside?

I’ve not heard one word about the tournament here, either against streaming it or supporting anyone in it. Apparently I work in a basketball apathetic zone; fine by me.

Geographic curiosity

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to No impact here

Being that there are certain parts of the country that tend to follow certain sports, I am curious if the answers will vary depending on where people are from.

NAIA

by gsg ·

In reply to Is today the start of the Big Dance or the Big Pain in the backside?

Heck, our organization sponsored a pool for the NAIA tournament. You don’t have to pay to get in, but the prize is something small like a cafeteria discount, gift certs to our coffee bar, etc…

The NCAA isn’t even on our radar since the local teams didn’t make it.

That’s cool

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to NAIA

I wasn’t aware that there was an NAIA tournament but that is cool that you all have a pool for it.

Won’t watch more than 2 games total at most

by jck ·

I have no desire to watch the sport anymore. Idiots like Sprewell, Iverson, et. al., ruined the game for me.

This is college basketball

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to Won’t watch more than 2 games total at most

I won’t watch the pros anymore, either.

Syracuse is in, I’m watching. Or at least paying attention. Even id they don’t go all the way, I’ll be too involved by then to let it drop until the championship game.

Excellent point

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to This is college basketball

College basketball is leaps and bounds over the NBA. Unlike the NBA, all of the players on the court are actually playing and hustling. Last night during the UNI/UNLV game, there were times when 7 or 8 guys were diving after loose balls. That is unheard of in the NBA. A player is more concerned with making sure they are ready for their shoe commercial the next day than actually earning their ridiculous multi-million dollar salary.

Huh?

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Excellent point

“…all of the players on the court are actually playing and hustling.”

Except the ‘one and done’ guys just serving their sentences before they’re draft-eligible.

Very true

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to Huh?

But they make up a very small percentage of the players.

Basketball

by santeewelding ·

Got taught in junior high over fifty years ago. Running all over the place. Getting out of breath. Saw no point in it.

Learned how to shoot a gun, instead.

It’s a pity

by drowningnotwaving ·

In reply to Basketball

… someone so cute should have focussed on chasing women instead of chasing wild fare with guns.

Focus, santee, focus.

Opposite.

by jfuller05 ·

I have some co-workers that have actually been watching some of the games via computer. The boss has a nice big television in his office and he has the games on in his office. Me? I’m on the other side of the building. I could watch some of the games, but I’m not into basketball that much.
      I am, however, looking forward to Wrestlemania 26. 😉

My son’s love the WWE

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to Opposite.

I have 13 and 12 year old boys and they are VERY excited about Wrestlemania 26. My youngest is a John Cena nut and my oldest likes The Miz. I grew up watching the Rock so I pull for old timers like HHH and the Undertaker.

Same here.

by jfuller05 ·

In reply to My son’s love the WWE

*Just between you and me* I don’t like John Cena. 🙂

I grew up watching HHH,Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Hulk Hogan, Macho, Jericho etc. You know, the 90’s stars (the better stars). It’s still fun to watch though. There are some good “new” superstars. I liked Mr. Kennedy, but he was canned by McMahon.
          Ted Dibiase Jr. is a promising young star.

I do like some of the younger guys

by theprofessordan ·

In reply to Same here.

Like Randy Orton. We have Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 for the XBox and that is who I use. I do like Rhodes and DiBiase. My wife is in love with John Morrison.

Viewing 4 reply threads