General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

IT is a great career for the bright, talented and willing.

by maranathap ·

Nothing has changed in IT as is true in many fields. To be well compensated you must be good at what you do. The better you are, the better the pay you can expect. IT offers a lifelong challenge to those that are looking to be challenged. If one continues to learn and improve their skills they will continue to be in demand.

Even though I have been in IT for over 15 years I have continued to update my skills and in turn I am always earning more year over year. My depth of knowledge is unattainable by younger individuals as it applies to a broader ideal of technological innovation.

Technology’s roles in a business need to be well understood from many different vantage points. The more you understand about a technology and its true potential versus its hype the more value you can present in a planning environment.

IT is a part of technology as a whole. A true technologist will be in demand for many many years to come.

Frankly, those that have not done well were never able to. They are right in that they should have gone into another field in the first place.

Don’t dissuade the capable of the future.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Beautifully Said…

by anthony.v ·

In reply to IT is a great career for the bright, talented and willing.

I agree with you %100 on this.

Step right up and collect your prize

by drowningnotwaving ·

[i]Frankly, those that have not done well were never able to. They are right in that they should have gone into another field in the first place.[/i]

Ka-chinggggg !!

The conundrum is – in what field did these people ever think that they would do well?

Where would they ever have life-long surety of employment?

Where would one set of skills serve them forever? Where would they not have to develop other skills (oh, such as those horrid “soft skills”, like communicating properly) to survive ???

Did these people have their own five year plan? Ten year plan? Did they ever look past next week’s payslip?

Or even more importantly, have they ever actually taken the time to define, for themselves, what their goals are? What does happiness mean to them? What are they prepared to compromise? What are they prepard to sacrifice?

As a gross generalisation, and looking through the recent thread on “Is IT a profession still worth recommending?”, I think I can safely suggest that most of the negative respondents have not had their own heart-to-heart with themselves.

If they really like IT and want to make a gazillion dollars, move to Dubai, Singapore, Australia, most of Europe, wherever. The work is there right now.

Any field is a great career for the bright, talented and eager

by locolobo ·

The true key to a great career is to find something you are good at and that you love doing at the same time. Hopefully the pay is adequate.

Hmm what about me?

by xsubxwooferx ·

In reply to Any field is a great career for the bright, talented and eager

I know I am good at typing and fixing online coding like html if something is wrong and writing it. But I want to get career in computer science for software engineering…is that C++? If so, I just know how to do hello world.BTW i’m senior in HS. I also checked dice.com and I see most of the jobs around here people want someone with experience in java. If so, I just know how to do hello world.BTW i’m senior in HS.

Depth of Knowledge

by triathlete1981 ·

I agree that updating your skills is necessary but isn’t isolated to the IT world. What is isolated to the IT world I believe is the view on experience. IT puts more emphasis on experience than any other industry field.

What is different now than 10 years ago is the emphasis on the IT professional to be more ingrained in the total business strategy than simply the techie geek who fixes the company’s computers. Nowadays companies look to the IT staff to not only fix and maintain but also view the total business process and see ways that technology will make those business processes work faster, easier, and inexpensively. In my position, I have to be technically skilled but also have a business mindset to see how my technical skills can be put to good use in the accounting, quality, production, and other divisions in my company. It’s interesting how the trend has changed.

I agree

by jon ·

In reply to Depth of Knowledge

I’m new to IT as well, I’m finishing my B.S, and I will be on my way to working on my M.S in the spring. I started a small consulting company doing local work with another student from school. Working with individual users to small business’s, it helped me get to where I am. Being in management for 3 retail stores since 2004, the outlook I had on the IT world was a bit different than many other people that I interviewed against. I was put ahead of them because I have the techincal skill set, but the acknowledgement of a business oriented skill set made them choose me. Working for a medium sized (around 200-300 employees) Manufacturing Company, there are many technologies that need to be implemented to help reduce work load on users, and to remove replication from the business processes. My career choice is the best move I ever made. IT is here to stay, it always will be, only you can make yourself marketable, the piece of paper, or certification does not do it alone. Human networking is how jobs are maintained.

Viewing 3 reply threads