General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Lamest excuses for needing a new desktop

by beth blakely ·

Here’s a fun Friday discussion: What’s the lamest excuse for needing a new desktop that an end-user has ever given you?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

I get this one a lot: “It would look better on my desk.”

by admin ·

In reply to Lamest excuses for needing a new desktop

~LoL~

Usually this is coming from a person who hasn’t really hardly used the last one (or three!)

I really like when they try and get my buy-in: “Don’t you really think this thing looks old? Wouldn’t this new one look great! How fast is it?”

I swear I could give them last years model in a new case and they would brag to everyone how “fast” it was!

~LoL~

“This one doesn’t hold enough fish”

by salamander ·

…from a friend converting their Mac into an aquarium. I thought it was a valid excuse.

One I have used

by oz_media ·

My clients always provide my PC’s, it is contracted that I will not use my own equipment or lines… SO;

I have told a client that I needed a new PC so that I can work on more advanced graphics intensive apps.

Of course it was a high-end IBM gaming machine with 256 MB Nvidea card and dual processors. I got the client interested in Ghost Recon and he’d call me at least twice a day to fire up a game over his LAN for an hour or two.

the graphics intensive apps, well I could do those on a PII with a 32 MB card! :p

But the client was happy and so was I.

Nice..

by tomsal ·

In reply to One I have used

Sweet, Ghost Recon…still IMHO one of the “classic” strategy FPS games of all time.

😉

PS. In your situation I would of done the same thing..lol

INeed 3D glasses

by oz_media ·

In reply to Nice..

Apparently the 3D glasses are excellent for GR game, I had the GPU now so it’s almost 3D as is !

Lamest Excuse

by t_panicker2003 ·

“If I get desktop I can have Airconditioner in my office”.

lamer

by bulcrapthomas ·

In reply to Lamest Excuse

i think what thomas’s main title should be is
        head “giver” IT

Health & Safety!

by pwadminbod ·

Our Health & Safety guy moans about the loud noise his PC makes. The fact that he has it mounted on the heating pipes and jammed between his desk and the wall, which helps increase the vibrations doesn’t seem to bother him!

Or, how about, my PC is really slow, can I have one of those flat screens? That should speed it up!

flat screens

by starbury ·

In reply to Health & Safety!

haha thats a funny one,

It gets better

by pwadminbod ·

In reply to flat screens

The same person called me to say they were trying to enter some data and her keyboard had “stopped working!” No numbers were appearing – yes you’ve guessed it, her number lock wasn’t on.

Bless her! Gives us a laugh anyway…

flat screens

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Health & Safety!

“I need a flat screen so I can have more desk space.”

Then they pull it forward so the front of it is where the front of the CRT used to be. All that desk space they gained is behind the monitor, unused except by the dust bunnies and stray Post-It (c) notes.

Slow and acting “funny”

by g.brown ·

I have seen quite a few people who think that their machine is too slow and there is “something wrong with it anyway”.

People actually wanted a replacement machine because they had installed a load of cr*p on it.

Full of spyware and viruses …. really all it needs is:
      Format c:

🙂

But [Insert Executive’s Name] has one!

by tomsal ·

Tell me I’m the only IT folk who ever came across an employee in a non-manager or entry level role and they actually try and justify why they should have a new computer because an executive has a shiney new computer.

I actually had a entry level customer server rep (a minimal exp required / $9.00 an hour position) asking why she can’t get a new computer since the Executive VP of the company just got a new computer.

LOL…end users, especially non-manager/entry level — god I love the entertainment they often provide.

😉

PS. This gal was straight out of high school too.

Wrong Attitude

by gregtivey ·

In reply to But [Insert Executive’s Name] has one!

I have yet to meet an Executive VP who actually uses a PC more than once a day to check email or browse the web. They have a PA who does all the work and runs their life, they could do with any old PC.
        I will always arrange for my junior entry people to have access to the best technology as they are the ones sitting all day in front of the machine trying to input work or create wanky reports for the Executive to then use. To have to put up with slow, old technology when it is your primary tool for your entire work day is a gross misuse of resources.
        There will always be exceptions but they are RARE.

I agree wholly, but sadly that is not reality in many places..

by tomsal ·

In reply to Wrong Attitude

Your concept is one I am in agreement with. However in reality when the “upper level management” folks want that new PC, you explain that the frontline folks could use that kind of power and they still say THEY want that new PC…you can’t bite the hand that feeds you.

As much as we sometimes hunger to do…oooh yeah…the stories I could tell…

😉

Leasing ends excuses

by hschoenman ·

We started leasing PCs (for 3 years) about 5 or 6 years ago. Now, any given person is, on average, 18 months away from getting a shiny, new PC.

“we do the most work…”

by wick tech ·

…ya, they do a lot of writing in Word – and even then, not CLOSE to the most amount of work on the machine. And the same people wonder why the have problems after loading freeware games, search toolbars, and, of course, the spyware that goes with all these “tools”. And the same people say “we have the oldest machines here (2-3 years), when several people still work on 4-5 year old systems. No sale here!

Clean you office

by jdmercha ·

User quote: “My computer doesn’t work. I need a new one”

Upon entering her cluttered office, I saw a stack of papers (one of many stacks) that had fallen over and was laying on the keyboard, depressig the esc key.

Viewing 9 reply threads