General discussion

Lenovo Y410; No sound from speakers. Help!

By jungleexplorer ·
I will make this short and sweet. I have a lenovo Y410 with XP Pro SP3. It has worked fine for the past year and then about a month ago the on board speakers stopped emitting sound. I can still plug in headphones or external speakers and get sound though so I know the sound card is working. I tried reinstalling the driver many times and tweaking all the settings in Windows and the Realtek Sound managers. I cannot be sure but it seems like the speakers stop working after a Windows Security update. I have tried to restore my system to an earlier date using Windows Restore, but that too does not work anymore. I thought that the speakers themselves might actually be defective, but I can rule that out because I also have Ubuntu installed on this system and the on board speakers work fine in Ubuntu.

So there's my problem. I know my speakers work and the driver and sound card also work, but I still can't get any sound from my speakers. How weird is that? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Have you made a habit of using either Headphones or External Speakers?

by OH Smeg In reply to Lenovo Y410; No sound fro ...

I would guess that the Socket that you plug these into has broken and is now no longer closing after the Plug is removed from it reenabeling the On Board Speakers. There is a Switch inside the Headphone/External Speaker Socket which turns off the feed to the On Board Speakers when you have something plugged into it. When this sticks in the open position only the devices that get plugged into the socket get any feed.

The solution here is to find someone capable of repairing the M'Board so that they can remove the faulty socket and solder a new one in place or replace the M'Board.

Oh you also should have asked this as a question not a discussion as many people who answer questions do not look at the Discussion Forums and you do not get a e-mail notification every time that you get an answer to your question.

Col

Collapse -

I would have responded differently

by santeewelding In reply to Have you made a habit of ...

You are kinder than I am kind.

Collapse -

See it's the New Improved

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to I would have responded di ...

Nice HAL 9000.

SWMBO is obviously having a very bad effect on me. :_|

Even my alter egos are nice. :_|

Col 0:-)

Collapse -

Thank you for your kind response.

by jungleexplorer In reply to Have you made a habit of ...

Most replies I have received else where have also blamed the jack. But we know that the jack is not the problem because as I stated in my first post, the speakers work fine in Ubuntu. If the jack was faulty, the speakers would not work in Ubuntu either. My suspicion is that a critical windows update is what caused the problem.

I am sorry that I posted this question on the wrong board. Maybe a forum administrator can move it to the right board for me, or I can repost it on the right board. This board is set up differently then most forums I use and I made a mistake.

Collapse -

It's not a problem to me where this is posted

by OH Smeg In reply to Thank you for your kind r ...

It's just that you'll get a better response and be notified if it was posted as a Question.

As for the system if it's working when you use Ubuntu you only have one alternative and that is to reload the system. Though if you get sound when you plug in either headphones or external Speakers but not when you rely on the inbuilt speakers the sound is actually working and it's just the Internal Speakers which are not which points directly to the External Sound Out Jack.

Col

Collapse -

What is in the Sounds and Audio Device Window

by OH Smeg In reply to Lenovo Y410; No sound fro ...

In the Control Panel under XP?

Open the Control Panel switch to Classic View if it is not already and left click on Sound & Audio Devices. In the Window that Opens left Click on the Audio Tab and look under the Sound Playback to see if your Sound Card is displayed. If it's not Left Click on the Down Arrow to the right of this device and change it to your Sound Device. Repeat the steps for the remaining Devices in that Window and under the Voice Tab as well.

Then Left Click on Apply and close the Window.

Try altering the Volume and see if there is anything from the speakers. I don't think that it will work but it's worth a try anyway.

Col

Collapse -

I have done all the tweaking that can be done

by jungleexplorer In reply to What is in the Sounds and ...

in the Sound & Audio Device control center. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Collapse -

Well then what happens

by OH Smeg In reply to I have done all the tweak ...

When you use a Live Disc?

Any Live Linux would be the easiest to use here but if you want to try windows Barts PE will do.

Col

Collapse -

I don't have to use a live CD

by jungleexplorer In reply to Well then what happens

because I have Ubuntu Linux installed as a dual boot option. Actually, I have a triple boot system with Vista, XP, and Ubuntu. The on board speakers work in both Vista and Ubuntu. I know you are probably asking, "Why in the heck would you want 3 OS's on a laptop?" Well, it came with Vista when I bought it, and I hate Vista but was not sure if I could get all the XP hardware drivers, so I installed XP as a dual boot option. Later I wanted to give Ubuntu a test drive so I installed it using the wubi installer. I never use Vista. It is just there on a partition that is just big enough to hold it. Now you understand why I have a triple boot system.

The bottom line is that if the on board speakers work in Ubuntu and Vista, then the problem is not a hardware issue, it is an issue with XP. Since they use to work in XP and now do not, the problem is not with the whole XP installation, but with a recent update to it. So, what I need to figure out is, how do I roll back the OS to an earlier date when Windows System restore is not working. If there is no way, then I will just have to reinstall windows, but since this is a triple boot system, that is a little more complicated then a normal single boot system.

Collapse -

No easy way as it sounds like some sort of Infection

by OH Smeg In reply to I don't have to use a liv ...

I would try a In Place Install of XP if you have a M$ Branded XP install Disc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

The main bit is method 2 and states

Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD
Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, you may need the installation CD to reinstall. Contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair installation.

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310064 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310064/ ) How to troubleshoot Windows XP Setup problems when you upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition
If you successfully completed the reinstallation, congratulations. You are almost done. Please continue to the "After you reinstall Windows XP" section to finish.

If you received an error or if the reinstallation did not finish, unfortunately, this article did not resolve your problem. For your next steps, you may want to ask someone whom you know for help. Or, you may want to contact Microsoft Support to help you resolve this problem.
Back to the top
After you reinstall Windows XP
After you finish the reinstallation, complete the following final tasks.

Note You may also want to enable the firewall in Internet Explorer. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
283673 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673/ ) How to turn on or turn off the firewall in Windows XP
Reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 2
If Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) was installed on your computer before you reinstalled Windows XP, you must reinstall SP2. If you did not already reinstall SP2 with the Windows XP in the previous section, use one of the following methods to reinstall SP2 now.
Method 1: Obtain the service pack CD and reinstall the service pack after you reinstall Windows XP
To order Windows Service Pack 2 on CD, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx)
Method 2: Download the service pack after you reinstall Windows XP
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/ ) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
Reinstall all updates to Windows
After you reinstall Windows XP, you must reinstall all updates to Windows also. To reinstall Windows updates, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
Reinstall Internet Explorer 7
When Windows XP is repaired and is running correctly, reinstall Internet Explorer 7. To do this, you will need the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. This package is available through Windows Update. Also, the package may still be on the computer from the first time that you installed Internet Explorer 7. Locate the installation package in the folder in which you saved the files, and reinstall the program.

Note This package may be located in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you cannot locate the Internet Explorer 7 installation package, visit the following Microsoft Web site to obtain this package:

Or better still as you are not using Vista wipe the HDD and load both XP and Ubuntu to the NB as a New Clean Install and then restore you Data & Settings to it from a Backup.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums