Question

Lexmark M410 on a small business network

By craigt221 ·
Hi there,

I have a Lexmark M410 Laser printer linked USB to my laptop. It is also connected to a router with CAT5 cable. I'm trying to set this printer up on the network, but only my laptop can connect and print and I think it's because I've hooked it up through USB. Nobody else can seem to connect to the printer at all. There is only two other computers in the office. One is a Dell running WinMe and the other is another laptop running xp.

The part that really sucks, is that I have the printer as shared, but it's still not seen across the network. This is frustrating.

Oh and before I forget, the printer has it's own NIC inside. However, I don't know the darn things IP addy, and do you think the good people at Lexmark posts this info in their manuals? Nooooo. Anybody tell me at least where to find the IP address of the M410 Lexmark?

Many regards,

Craig.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

If a printer of any kind has it's

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Lexmark M410 on a small b ...

Own Ethernet Connection you don't install the printer to one machine and share it you need to install it to every computer and allow it to find the Printer on the LAN and then print to it from there.

The IP Address of the printer should be unimportant as it should be static and available every time that one of the computers is turned on. The only possible problem here is that if you are using Auto IP Addressing you'll need to have the pinter turned on before the computers so you don't have an issue of a computer taking the printers IP Address.

Col

Collapse -

sharing and ip printing

by cigzig In reply to Lexmark M410 on a small b ...

USB printing: You can share the printer from this computer, however, you must make sure you can ping all the computers, otherwise you have a problem with physical/wireless connections, make sure your eth cabling isn't plugged into the dsl port, try port 1.

IP: Once again if you hardwire the laptop and the printer you should be able to ping them as a test, install the drivers on each computer as a networked printer with the ip. You should be able to print a config page off your printer to obtain it's ip.Navigate if it has a menu and if not hold the buttons down for a few seconds.

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums