General discussion

Lexmark4227Plus accordian tear

By justin.healey ·
We are using a Lexmark 4227Plus. The printer is putting an accordian type tear in the middle of the paper on the right hand side. We are using continous feed check stock paper, and have been using it for years. The defect is not happening on every page. I have changed the Auto Gap Setting on the printer control panel from Auto to Manual=2. This has fixed my problem that I was having with the print being light, blurry and raised on the paper. I have also used canned air to get rid of any paper dust that may be causing the paper to not feed properly through the printer path. But I am still getting tears at random when printing. It may print 11 checks fine, and then tear on the 12th one. There doesn't see to be any pattern. Any suggestions that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Justin

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Lexmark4227Plus accordian ...

Start by running a few test prints on some heavier paper stock.

Use paper that is rated as at least 4 pounds per ream heavier than your normal paper.

The thicker paper will help dislodge anything that is on the rollers or print head carriage.

If you are still having problems I would look at the paper side of the print head carriage.
More than likely, an ink buildup or paper scrap is stuck there and catches from time to time.

While not as likely, it is possible that something impacted the print head and created a burr that catches the paper.

Also, inspect all rollers in the paper path. Sometimes the metal flaps get bent.

Chas

Collapse -

by justin.healey In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Thank you for your suggestions. I used alot of canned air once again to remove any paper debris. There was alot of paper dust!. So far so good, no more tears on the paper. Hopefully this printer can hang in there a few more months until we go to our new system. Thanks again for your assistance.

Collapse -

by justin.healey In reply to Lexmark4227Plus accordian ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)