Discussions

LGPA 775 & Mobo Failure Options

+
0 Votes

LGPA 775 & Mobo Failure Options

older ****
I have a HP M1270N Media Center PC with a Puffer M-UL8E [proprietary ASUS PTGD1-LA] mobo. It ran flawlessly for about 1-2 yrs. Then it started acting up with various black screen Windows Boot "config sys" error messages, and finally failed with no POST/Video/boot at all. Only the PS/fans came on.. After T/S for obvious PwrSupply/Video Card/etc issues, I tried replacing the P4 LGPA-775 3.0GHz processor.It booted right up, as if nothing had happened. I tried rebooting and entering BIOS, to verify settings were still correct. At that point the screen froze, even though everything still appeared to be running. Subsequent boots resulted in no POST/Video/boot at all. Only PS/Fans came on.
I totally opened up the PC so I could closely inspect the Mobo/etc, as I suspected dirt/paper clip/etc. . It was then that I noticed the two electrolytic capacitors next to the two RAM slots [PC3200] had bulging tops and one had a leaky bottom. All other caps on the Mobo appear normal/good. I assume the capacitors are used for RAM refresh, as there is one by each slot. I will have to determine if capacitor replacement [personally or professionally done].is an option at all, somewhere down the line, but that is not germane to my question. I am inquiring if the processors are any good at all [the original and replacement]. Morever, if I install them into a good Mobo as a test will they do any damage to the mobo. I am building a new PC for myself with an Intel D915GEV mobo that uses a 775 processor.I have read a lot of documentation on the web about the 3.3V regulators in the processor/etc, but nothing definitive beyond that. If not, does anyone know another site to inquire at. [Not to **** smoke up your ***. but T/R forum IS the best !!]. I've looked at badcaps.com and capacitorlabs.com, but no luck. In any event, thank you all in advance for your time and consideration to this issue.

Sam [just another "OF"]
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .

However as these are Intel CPU's I would tend to believe that they are both usable. That doesn't mean that they are it's just that as yet I have yet to find a Normal Failure of any M'Board kill a Intel CPU. AMD's are a different story but the Intel CPU's seem to be very robust.

That however is just a guess but even if the CPU's are destroyed they shouldn't do any damage to a replacement M'Board.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    older ****

Thank you for the pointers, did a Q&A post a while a go--must have just lucked out--go figure. Also tks for opinion on the Procs+new mobo !!!

Anyway--Much Tks

Sam [older ****]

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer". .

However as these are Intel CPU's I would tend to believe that they are both usable. That doesn't mean that they are it's just that as yet I have yet to find a Normal Failure of any M'Board kill a Intel CPU. AMD's are a different story but the Intel CPU's seem to be very robust.

That however is just a guess but even if the CPU's are destroyed they shouldn't do any damage to a replacement M'Board.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    older ****

Thank you for the pointers, did a Q&A post a while a go--must have just lucked out--go figure. Also tks for opinion on the Procs+new mobo !!!

Anyway--Much Tks

Sam [older ****]