General discussion

logon to win2000 returns to logon screen

By Matt H ·
I have a major problem. I have installed the MS SUS server onto a NAS box, and had to reboot it for another reason, but now when I try to log on via Terminal services or the console through VNC it starts to log on then logs off again and comes back to the CTRL/ALT/DEL screen. We don't have any policies in place as yet, and it only affects that machine. It has no CD-ROM so I can't hack it that way, and when trying to start Telnet session, the session closed straight away with a messages saying the shell process may not have started. I have web admin access to it, and can stop and start processes, and can access all the drives through admin shares but I've never seen this before. The logs don't seem to show any problems.

Can anyone suggest a way to get to the desktop? IF only it was Unix....

Matt

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to logon to win2000 returns ...

does this help any?
Starting the Telnet Service
The Telnet service startup type is set to Manual when you install Windows 2000 Server.

back to the top
Starting the Telnet Service Manually
You can manually start the Telnet service by using any of the following methods:
At a command prompt, type net start telnet.
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Telnet Server Administration. At the command prompt, type 4 to start the Telnet service.
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, click Services, right-click the Telnet service, and then click Start.
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, click Services, right-click the Telnet service, click Properties, and then click Start.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

do you get any errors with
net view \\servername

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)