General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Loss of PC to PC networking

by hollywoodmi ·

All of a sudden I lost all PC to PC networking. The PC’s can access the Internet but not eachother. Nothing to my knowledge has changed on the network. No servers are involved just basic MS networking. PC’s are in workgroup’s, MSHOME, or another named workgroup.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Network

by p.j.hutchison ·

In reply to Loss of PC to PC networking

Is the firewall enabled? Are you using Windows Firewall or another product. If using Windows Firewall, open Advanced settings, click on Exceptions and make sure ‘File and Print sharing’ is ticked.

Network

by hollywoodmi ·

In reply to Network

I am only using Windows firewall and file and print sharing is checked under Exceptions.

Solution

by hollywoodmi ·

I believe I figured out the problem. Somehow NetBios was changed on the router and when it was recently rebooted it took effect.

Great, Read this just incase…

by johnjackson1132 ·

I hope you got your problem fixed, Hollywood. In the future to save you a few steps…try this approach.

Both PCs may be able to connect to the internet, but can they see eachother?

Open network connections, right click your LAN connection, Properties…click TCP/IP properties..and if IPs are staticly assigned them…record them both…along with the DNS servers, and default gateway.

Then go to Start…Run…type CMD…hit enter…and then type with no quotes “ping_192.168.XX.XXX” The underscore represents a space in PC terms, and the XX’s represent the numbers issued by your router. If the two PCs cannot ping eachother, you know write away its a network problem.

Likewise, if the IPS are acheived via DHCP…go into CMD PROMPT, via steps above…type in, no quotes..”ipconfig”..and get the IPs, then try pinging the other computer from the one your on.
      —> PC A
      Internet —> Router –> Internet
      —> PC B

Internet will go through each computer, whether the two computers can see it or not. First thing I would do ever, is check the Network information…default gateway/IP/etc..Hope this helps for future reference.

Problem Solved!

by hollywoodmi ·

I appreciate everyone’s help. The problem was the NetBIOS change on the router & when it was rebooted it took effect. I had several PC’s mapped to other PC’s via \\PC NAME\FOLDER SHARE which would no longer work. All the PC’s could access the Internet and ping each other. So I tried to map a PC to another PC via \\IP ADDRESS\FOLDER SHARE and it worked. So that narrowed it down to be a name resolution problem (NetBIOS). Having no sort of name resolution servers I looked at the router, saw the change, change it back, rebooted it and it worked using the PC NAME’s w/ no problem. Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 3 reply threads