General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Mac/PC Different, not better…right?

by norehca ·

i still cant understand why theres so much crap over whats better. There both good at there own things. You cannot say a PC is better or vice versa and be right. No matter how much you like a PC, theres always gonna be someone who likes a Mac better. Majority says a mac apparently is good for Music and Video editing. Statistics show that a PC is better with games. Theres also tons more games for a PC than Mac. Mac is easier to use no doubt. A PC is more versatile. A mac doesn’t get viruses….because there are none. That doesn’t make the mac better. Then comes Linux. Linux just has a better firewall etc. to keep viruses out. A mac doesn’t necessarily have a good firewall. Its easier to find software for a PC. Macs software is more integrated and seamless. These are all facts, and if youd like to discuss otherwise, thats why im posting this. But what id like to know is why you use a Mac or PC, and in your experience why you think its better than the other or what it has over the other.

I like PC’s. I like PC’s because im a hardcore gamer, and all of the software i need exists for the PC and it works for me. I also like PC’s because i can upgrade them alot easier without a liscense to touch it. And one of the biggest reasonw as becaus ei was brought up with a PC. I have worked with Macs enough to know them inside out. It took me a week to know everything i needed to know about Macs. But there just different. And the thing with a PC…i can get software to totally transform my UI into MacOS. Right now im using Windows XP and i have a ock very similar to that of a Mac at the top where i put my favorite apps so i can mor easily run them.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w189/norehca/Untitled-1.jpg

Please no hating, just discuss what you like.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Distinctions between platforms, be they of hardware, OS, or applications ..

by deepsand ·

In reply to Mac/PC Different, not better…right?

are not without import. Setting aside personal preferences, different platforms bring different capabilities and capacities, which means different strengths and weaknesses depending on the intended usage(s).

Eventually, many of these distinctions will be obviated by the use of virtual machines, so that, given a hardware platform with sufficient resources, one can run multiple instances of the operating system(s) best suited for each application set.

Look at the bigger picture

by blue_box ·

I think you’ve begun to answer your own question with all the points you
      make in your post. It *does* matter what you’re going to use any
      computer/OS for, in deciding which combination to use. Programmers/web
      developers might have to use all of them (for obvious reasons), and a gamer
      might only need to use a Windows pc (or an Xbox/PS3/Wii) if that’s the limit
      of functionality (or budget) for them.

Given that, the argument for purchasing/owning only one *computer* to run
      multiple *systems* has been made by Apple, and from my experiences (20+
      years of nearly everything), simply offers a better platform for getting it all
      done on one box. I work in a scientific R&D business, and find the usefulness
      of 100% compatible and compilable open source software extremely
      valuable, particularly when it is running on an extremely stable unix base. I
      don’t care how OSX originally came to be (although I’m well-rehearsed in its
      history), I only care how good it is now. Microsoft has a lot to learn, and
      Linux (even Ubuntu, arguably best-of-breed) still has a long, long way to go
      when it comes to consumer-friendliness (basically, almost none).

If you’re a programmer, learning new languages is a given, and in most
      cases, a necessity. When a compelling alternative presents itself, particularly
      in a segment with a growing base of customers and fewer competitors, it
      could be lucrative to boot. The best reasoning I’ve seen on why
      Windows/.NET programmers should consider programming on OSX is from
      Kevin Hoffman at The .Net Addict’s Blog
      http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/tags/?/osx where, over
      the past couple years, he’s compared the two platforms very fairly.

As for your points;
      “mac apparently is good for Music and Video editing” – got that right, but
      there’s a lot more than that. (too much for this post)
      “Theres also tons more games for a PC than Mac” – no doubt DirectX is the
      main reason, along with the plethora of available video cards. Doesn’t mean
      a Quad MacPro with the Nvidia 8800 card can’t kick some serious rear-end
      (running XP in BootCamp). Then again, these Macs are workstations, not
      playstations. Benchmarks show the MacBook and MacBook Pro run Vista
      faster than any other laptop in their category, including price.
      “A PC is more versatile” – in what way? If you don’t know what OSX really
      offers, how is running a pc that’s limited to Windows/Linux more versatile
      than all of them on a Mac? If you are referring to hardware, why do we need
      a hundred sound cards, a thousand video cards, etc. to be called “versatile”,
      when a couple GPU’s and the Mac’s built-in audio hardware cover more than
      the necessities?
      “A mac doesn’t get viruses….because there are none. That doesn’t make the
      mac better.” – Tearing your hair out for hours, wasting time trying to rid
      yourself of the latest virus/worm/trojan *would* make it better? 😮
      “Linux just has a better firewall etc. to keep viruses out.” – So, not having any
      viruses is worse than having a better firewall to keep out viruses you do have.
      !?!
      “A mac doesn’t necessarily have a good firewall.” – In fact, it has a *very*
      good firewall, and it’s getting better. Fact, as you say.
      “Its easier to find software for a PC.” – It is easier to find a thousand different
      variations of the same crapware for Windows that the equivalent 5 or 10
      quality programs do on the Mac. Yes, you’re right, if that’s what you meant.
      🙂 And please don’t bring up Access, Project, AutoCAD, etc. Even though they’re not
      necessarily the best in their categories, that’s what VMWare
      virtualization or BootCamp are for.
      “software to totally transform my UI into MacOS” – LOL – you’re only
      mimicking the eye candy, and badly at that. I think you really do need a Mac,
      just so you can look beneath the surface to see what I mean.

People like what they know

by jdclyde ·

and most choices are made out of ignorance when it comes to computers.

The problem is when you let a non-tech make the decisions on systems. That is when you get into a case of “I like…”

I don’t CARE what you like, here is your solution and here is why.

Mac vs. PC

by joeadcock169 ·

Mac can now run almost anything a PC can. I work on PCs and Macs, and I truly dont like Macs because of the way they try to make everything into a tiny little package. Trying to take apart a macbook or those new integrated ones that has everything in the screen(cant remember name)…. anyways doing that is not fun… and then getting it back together is also not fun.
      There isnt much you can do to upgrade them, and you are definitely going to pay more to get it fixed. The towers they make now are basically a PC with mac OS in them, so they are nice to work on, and parts are the same as PC.
      I really dont see why any editting would be better on a mac then a pc. Personally, I dont do any video/audio editting, so i dont know…. BUT the make the same software for pc that they do for the mac in nearly EVERY case, and PCS are just as powerful if not more than Macs. My deduction is this is just a myth made to lurk so that apple can keep selling computers. Why is a little PC thats the size of my dvd drive better than my 2X2 foot monster PC? Answer: its not
      Macs dont get viruses? no, its simple logic here. They can get a virus just like anyone else. the thing is, if your making a virus, you want it to hit as many people as possible, right? SOOOOO you make that virus to work with the majority of computers that are out there. PCs have (dont quote me on this) 95% of the marketplace, so its a no-brainer, they make it usually for the windows OS. Its not that macs are invincible to viruses, its just that there arent as many to spread. And that fact is going to change i think very soon. With mac making their machines more compatible with windows software…..more viruses are going to slip through

KTHNX 😀

It’s more about OS than hardware now

by ronan mcgurn ·

In reply to Mac vs. PC

I’ve been a long time user of computers, both PC and Mac. Since Apple has moved from the PowerPC architecture there has been much less difference in hardware. As others have said, the Intel-based Macs use basically the same hardware as a PC. In the iMac series (all in one models) they use notebook hardware while in the Mac Pro they use true workstation-grade hardware. And yes, there IS a difference there than in a standard PC Desktop, you’d need a Dell Precision or some PC equivalent with the same hardware. Mac Pros like any workstation are tailored for specific uses in most cases, and users are charged appropriately. I am writing this on a Mac Pro as we speak actually.

As far as viral loads are concerned, it’s a mixture of viral developers not really focusing on the OS X platform currently, as well as the fact that OS X is built upon a Unix core, which is more difficult to infect with a virus. The biggest hazards to a Unix or Linux system are not viruses, but rootkits. There’s quite a difference between them. Many times today any type of malware is classified as a “virus” and it’s simply not accurate. If yu google it, there are several good articles for various reading levels that describe difference between viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, etc.

My reasons for using the mac platform for all my needs (and I’m primarily involved with Cisco networking and server administration, NOT a graphic designer) is their speed and reliability. I don’t attribute this to the Apple hardware, but rather the operating system (currently running OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard). OS X is a solid Unix based operating system. I use VMware Fusion for when I need or want to run other operating systems. But I’ve found that OS X as a Unix variant is much more stable than most linux flavors (I prefer the RedHat based distros). RHEL and CentOS are very stable, but lack numerous features desired in desktop operating systems. Fedora is loaded with features, but lacks stability. Overall, Linux on the desktop side does not have the array of commercial software used in mainstream computing (can you say MS Office). Not to say that Linux systems are incapable of running such applications, you can either virtualize a Windows system or in many cases use WINE. I’m a firm believer that Linux is an excellent OS. But to sum everything up in a nutshell, it’s not the Apple logo that makes a Mac better for my uses, it’s the operating system (which is only licensed for use on Apple branded computers), OS X, which makes me a Mac user.

Viewing 3 reply threads