General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Marketing at its best

by oz_media ·

A chat on the radio this morning mentioned that the most requested X-Mas gifts for 2010 were Apple gadgets, iPod, iTouch, iPhone, iPad.

They added that most requests were from children under 12 and INCLUDED 5 year olds.

Does this not prove that Apple sells it’s devices based on marketing prowess? How does a 5 year old, or most kids under 12, determine feature and functionality benefits of an electronic device?

A 5-year old only wants one because “all the other kids have one”.

So while Apple’s sales are strong, and they boast it’s because they have the preferred or superior product lines, the fact that 5-12 year old children show the most desire for their products (as X-Mas gifts), only goes to prove that they are not selling on capability, productivity, quality, value for money etc. MOST kids, especially tots, don’t even understand such concepts as value for money.

It is just a trend to own a little white gadget like all the other kids. I wonder if Steve Jobs/Apple will try to patent the color white soon?

Here’s similar info, breaking it down my age:
    http://www.modyouri.com/os-x-daily-feed/23088-most-popular-christmas-gifts-2010-apple-gadgets.html

[i]”The gift list results were found in the Duracell Toy Report, which polled over 2000 kids regarding their Christmas lists, this was covered and published by the Telegraph”[/i]

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

This is sort of old news I think

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Marketing at its best

Everyone that knows the truth, knows this, and everyone else is blind to the truth anyways.

So pointless post 😀

I’ve said it all along

by nexs ·

And no-one believed me.

Apple make toys. Neat, clever, pretty toys. Nothing more.

You know, most of the people who want to use these things, probably only do so because they can use facebook on it. Sad, really.

Reminds me of the saying…

by tobif ·

In reply to I’ve said it all along

The biggest difference between boys and men is the price of their toys.
        Does that still hold true, if toddlers nowadays play with iPhones instead of sucking a pacifier?

I think the solution is

by maecuff ·

plastic bags. They are cheap and kids LOVE them. I know mine did.

This survey includes ONLY children.

by charliespencer ·

“According to a new report by Duracell, Apple products are the most requested item on many kids Christmas wish-lists for 2010,…”

You can’t draw any conclusions about the total Apple market from this. They didn’t survey all ages, so this says nothing about what percentage of the total demand for iDevices is from those under 17. Those kids may be echoing what their parents want, not what the kids around them are saying.

“…the fact that 5-12 year old children show the most desire for their products…”

The radio reports statement “that most requests were from children under 12 and INCLUDED 5 year olds” is statistically incorrect. You can’t add the percentage of positive responses across age groups (17% of 5-8 and 50% of 9-12) to determine a majority. You have to consider the size of each population responding. 67% of a hundred pre-teens isn’t more than 66% of a thousand teens (numbers made up strictly to demonstrate my point; the survey fails to break down the number of respondents by age.)

“Lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

It’s the parent’s fault

by dadspad ·

I have seen many times, small children ( 5 or 6) using their parents iphone in a store to keep them happy. If it makes a good instore baby sitter, why would they not want one. In every case the kid did nothing but play with the phone. There are so many apps for it, many must be kid friendly.

That’s exactly like cars

by kjohnson6 ·

The kids only want one because the other kids have one? That sounds familiar.

Viewing 5 reply threads