General discussion

Matshita DVD/CDRW UJDA740 Region hack?

By Seagull Data Services ·
Does anyone have the details of how to hack a Matshita UJDA740 DVD/CDRW to remove the region protection?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Matshita DVD/CDRW UJDA740 ...

This is the only link I could find:

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/printview.php?t=8107&start=0

If you are using WinXP, I'd recommend that you update the drive in another Win98 computer. There's also "Region Killer" but it doesn't work in Win2000 nor XP:

http://www.elby.ch/english/fun/software/index.html

-----

WHy DVD companies try to limit people's ability to watch foreign language movies always seemed questionable to me. I don't consider this a "hack" and frankly neither should you.

Collapse -

Looks like they took away the firmware upgrade...

The other alternative is to purchase $40 USD, "DVD Region Free" -- it does work in WinXP and 2000...

Collapse -

Thanks Anna,
It seems I can't submit a comment here without rating your answer. Please don't be offended by the rejection. Can you submit another answer (even just say hi) to keep you in the running.
I've looked at the Bulletin Board and it looks like a possible when they get a firmware version up and running and, above all, TESTED.
The DVD drive is in an Acer aspire with a two year warranty which expires two years from last Friday. I'm not too keen on messing with the firmware just yet.
As for your comment on why the world is divided into regions, firstly, I feel it's a matter of principle to try and get around the locking. As to why, it's very simple. DVD prices vary a lot from region to region. Here in Ireland, a dvd can cost up to ?35 for a new release. Add about 8% for USD. Like many things, the price is dictated by the local economic conditions. (We had a ruling a couple of years ago by the European Court of Injustice which prohibited the importation for resale of designer clothing from Eastern European countries where they cost about 30% of what they cost in Europe. An obvious corollary of this is that other goods would also come under this mis-ruling, e.g. DVDs. But don't get me started on the EC(I)J.) The basic answer is greed.
I've also been thinking about an option on the firmware.
Any idea if it's possible to copy and restore the original firmware when the region changes run out?
Meantime, I'm increasing the points on this question. Maybe someone has a quick fix. If not, the points are yours.
Again, thanks for your help
John

Collapse -

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Collapse -

Reposting, although I don't know when or even if an upgrade will be available. Hopefully so, but I cannot tell from the website.

Collapse -

I haven't had time to check out either solution properly so I've upped the points and accepting both answers.
Thanks for your help guys.
John

Collapse -

by niroopbelliappa In reply to Matshita DVD/CDRW UJDA740 ...

This link containg the region killer for XP and win2k too.
http://www.elby.ch/english/fun/software/index.html

Collapse -

I haven't had time to check out either solution properly so I've upped the points and accepting both answers.
Thanks for your help guys.
John

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)