id="info"

General discussion

Memory leak in Windows 2003

By msevidal ·
I am running a Gateway 975 Dual Xeon 2.4 GHZ with 3 GB of RAM.

It has Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition running as a file server with Service Pack1, Veritas Backup 10 Revision 5520, Symantec Antivirus Client 10.0 and configured as a print server. My server freezes up and the following error message appears in the event viewer at least twice a week and I have to restart my server to recover.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Srv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2019
Date: 1/12/2006
Time: 6:10:43 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXX
Description:
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty.

I've ran the poolmon and it is pointing to Veritas backup as the culprit of not releasing memory thus the memory leak. Does anyone have any suggestion to resolve this issue. I hate to restart my server every couple of days just to recover.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Detecting memory leaks

by MirrorMirror In reply to Memory leak in Windows 20 ...

I am not a network admin but did run into a similar issue not too long ago on one of my SQL Servers. You might already know this or have already run this, I just figured it couldn't hurt to pass this along.

Here is a link on the counter in perfmon that will help you find the leak. Or, You might check with Veritas to see if this is a bug that they can fix.

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/V-S/debug/memoryissues/article.php/c4411/

Good luck!

Collapse -

Memory leaks

by msevidal In reply to Detecting memory leaks

Thanks. I'll try it and see if it works.

Collapse -

by alevatic In reply to Memory leak in Windows 20 ...

Same problem, although my Print Spooler (spoolsv.exe) is the one causing this memory leak. It would use non-paged memory pool up to ? of server?s RAM & that would cause server to loose network connectivity & eventually freeze (with that 2019 event viewer message).

For now (temp fix) I setup a scheduled task to restart my print spooler every night so it doesn?t get to the point where it freezes the server again?

Collapse -

by brian.peck In reply to Memory leak in Windows 20 ...

I was getting ready to do this very same thing then I ran task manager and turned on the paged pool, non paged pool, handles, and threads from an article I read. I watched this for a day and today when I came in I also noticed that my spoolsv.exe process had alot of non paged memory pool allocations. I ran a search and found this article http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1143952&page=1. I then searched all my printer ports and found one hp laserjet 4250 post script printer that had a hp port instead of a standard ip port. I have removed this hp port from my system and I am waiting to see if this resolves my problem. Being Patch Tuesday my server will get updated tonight and get rebooted sometime in the next week. Right now if the server runs for more than four days without locking up I will know I have found my problem. I will keep you posted.

Collapse -

Problem solved - caused by HP Standard TCP/IP ports

by alevatic In reply to Memory leak in Windows 20 ...

After replacing all 20 HP Standard TCP/IP ports with Microsoft default TCP/IP Ports spooler stopped leaking memory !

Collapse -

update veritas

by sauravrohilla In reply to Memory leak in Windows 20 ...

update veritas, and that doesnt resolve the issue call microsoft PSS

Back to IT Employment Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

General Discussion Forums