General discussion

Microsoft extends service on Windows XP

By DanLM ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16805062/

On Wednesday, however, Microsoft said consumers who still have Windows XP running after April 2009 will be entitled to five more years of "extended support."

In the extended plan, consumers will still get security fixes, but instead of free service from the Microsoft help desk, they will have to pay for most assistance.

Is this recognition by MS that people don't want to move to Vista, and MS decided to make some money on it? Or, is this MS forcing the migration to Vista by charging?

Edited to add: Besides the fact that MicroSoft website sucks, I couldn't find anything on their site to back up this story. But, considering MSNBC is owned by Microsoft. I guess they should know.

Dan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Might be driven by Software and Hardware Manfacturers

by faradhi In reply to Microsoft extends service ...

It may be an admission it is going to take a lot of time for applications to be ported to Vista. Additionally, the hardware requirements are much greater than XP and a lot of companies have Hardware rotation times greater than two years.

Collapse -

I would have to agree partially

by w2ktechman In reply to Might be driven by Softwa ...

that many businesses have 5+ year rotations on systems. Usually small to mid sized that are strapped on finances. But, by 09, I would guess that more than 80% of business systems will be of newer makes and probably mostly dual core.
On the other hand, I purchased a system at home a few months back, and I like the idea that XP will still be supported even after this system is out of date. I think this move may mostly be targeting the general public who is often slower to upgrade their systems at home every 2-3 years.

Collapse -

This is good news

by w2ktechman In reply to Microsoft extends service ...

And I do not see charged extended support as a bad thing either. When you buy a car, there is a regular warranty, and additional warranty for a price. Same with other HW and appliances.
It depends on the cost though, too steep and it is useless and will be avoided.

But I think that MS needs to get their patches tested better. It seems that soon before a new OS release they keep pushing patches that cause more problems than what they intended to fix. there is an occasional one like that every now and then, but before a new OS, it seems to be every other or every patch has issues.
I went a bit off topic, sorry.

Collapse -

That's ok, I was trying to figure out what this meant to me

by DanLM In reply to This is good news

As a home user that just bought a brand new dual processor with xp media, I'm definitely not upgrading. Isn't happening, period.

The reason I wanted to find followup on Microsoft's web site was to see if service patch's would continue, but other support wouldn't unless paid for. I just didn't understand exactly what they was saying. I know, dumb. What can I say.

Dan

Collapse -

Not dumb!

by w2ktechman In reply to That's ok, I was trying t ...

A good question. I am going to try to find out more myself.

This is a valid question that would be a 'good to know' item.

Collapse -

left-handed...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to This is good news

marketing perhaps? lol

Collapse -

SP3

by BorgInva In reply to Microsoft extends service ...

They better roll out SP3 before 2008 (possible time frame is 2008 2nd or 3rd quarter).

Collapse -

or what exactly?

by w2ktechman In reply to SP3
Collapse -

lol, my thoughts exactly

by DanLM In reply to or what exactly?

Basicatly, MS doesn't have to do twit.... Seriously. They want the upgrades to vista... They gave a grace period for buisness's.

Got me by the chops what this grace period means, but...

lol, they dont have to do twit.

Dan

Collapse -

Or Else...

by BorgInva In reply to or what exactly?

I will be very upset, and they will once again, hear my rage! Trust me.

Back to Web Development Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Software Forums